See all jobs in Folsom CA
Job Location: Folsom, CA
Type: Full Time
Open to remote workers
As a Lead Software Engineer, you'll be in a hands-on development and technical lead role collaborating with our team to help continue building the leading LMS software in the industry, Schoology! Your focus will be solving the technical challenges of improving our user experience, specifically as it pertains to young learners. You will also become a key contributor to our internal design system, and leverage your broad skill set to act as the technical lead for a new team. Schoology, a PowerSchool Unified ClassroomTM Product, one of the fastest growing education technology companies, is putting collaboration at the heart of the learning experience with an easy-to-use learning management system (LMS) that connects the people, content and systems that fuel education. Millions of students, faculty and administrators from over 60,000 K-12 schools and higher education institutions worldwide use Schoology to advance what is possible in education. This is more important than ever in a post COVID world. Schoology is here to support the online and in person learning schools face today. We are looking for a strong candidate to help deliver that vision. Working at Schoology offers you a chance to help solve the most important challenges in education in an environment that's fun, collaborative and innovative. We are looking for smart, creative individuals who are passionate about education and aren't afraid to show it.
Essential duties and responsibilities include the following. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Work on a remote cross-functional team where you'll play a critical role in designing, planning, development, deployment and observing your code in production.
- Develop high performance, highly scalable and accessible web applications. Our web app is used by over 20 million educators, students and parents worldwide.
- Meet tight deadlines in a rapid application development environment.
- Collaborate with Product Management, Design, and Operations teams to create and deliver tested features to production.
- Collaborate with specialists across web, mobile, and operations to achieve a better user experience for our product.
- Be able to assess and bring in industry information into your decisions and learn new technologies: AWS is releasing new tools every day, there are new open source libraries to vet and you will be a party to helping us vet and pick the best tool for the job.
- Help staff, build, and form the culture around a team of 5 engineers, a product manager, designer, QAs and associated supporting roles
- Bottom line: you'll have a say in what's built - we're not throwing specs over the wall for you to develop on an island.
To be considered for and to perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty and responsibility satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required.
- Experience developing in at least 2 server side languages (PHP, node.js, ...)
- Experience developing in at least 1 client side JS framework (ReactJS, Angular, ...)
- Experience testing software in alignment with the Test Pyramid.
- Experience with datastores, either SQL (MySQL preferred) or NoSQL, and the ability to talk deeply about them.
- Able to identify the source of complex problems occurring as a result of multiple systems interacting (experience with observability tools such as datadog/newrelic is a plus).
- Experience with code review, being able to sign-off on another team member's code ensuring high quality standards.
- Be self-sustained even when tackling the highest profile, most difficult work across the organization.
- Willingness to accept responsibility and be accountable not only for your own work but the work of the team as a whole.
- Experience working with other people's code, how to dig into it and make tactical changes with minimal side effects.
- A solid understanding of how to break down user stories and give estimates that include accessibility and security requirements.
PowerSchool is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. PowerSchool is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. Our inclusive culture empowers PowerSchoolers to deliver the best results for our customers. We not only celebrate the diversity of our workforce, we celebrate the diverse ways we work. If you have a disability and need an accommodation regarding our recruiting process, please let us know by emailing THIS EMAIL .