CAN Community Health, Inc, the 2nd largest provider of HIV services in the United States has an immediate opening for Vice President of Legal Affairs. This exciting opportunity will be the beginning of developing an inhouse legal department. Located in beautiful Sarasota, FL- beautiful weather and minutes from great area beaches and outdoor activities. Excellent collaborative working environment, salary, and premiere benefit package.
Exempt EEO: 1.2 First/Mid-level Officials & Managers
Job Title: Vice President, Legal Affairs Date Prepared: December 7, 2020
Statement of Purpose:
The Vice President of Legal Affairs serves as CAN Community Health, Inc.'s (CAN) chief in-house counsel and key member of the leadership team. The position will direct the management of legal affairs for the organization. Provide legal advice and counsel to the Board of Directors, executives, employees of the organization and external counsel. Advise the President & CEO and senior management on all legal matters affecting the organization's operations and governance, including legal review and advice on risks and implications of new projects, and with business arrangements to support strategic and operational decision-making.
Essential Functions: Vice President, Legal Affairs
- Reviewing, summarizing, drafting and negotiating a wide variety of contracts, including purchase and sale agreements, joint venture agreements, financing documents, distribution agreements, license agreements, service agreements, the provisions of pharmacy and professional services, 340B program contract pharmacy and pharmacy service agreements, settlement agreements and confidentiality agreements.
- Legal guidance on Ryan White and 340B contracts and program issues.
- Provide support for complex business transactions including merger & acquisitions.
- Abreast of federal, state, municipal laws and identifying applicable standards to all legal matters.
- Conducts thorough research and gathers all data and information that is relevant to each business practice and case.
- Effectively communicates and explains complex legal proceedings and concepts.
- Generates reports for the CEO, Executive Committee and Board of Directors.
- Keeps all stakeholders abreast of the progress of open legal matters by creating reports and communicating verbally.
- Represent CAN in any legal meetings, depositions, etc. that require an attorney.
- Coordinate and manage all legal matters with outside council on an as needed basis.
- Operate within a prescribed budget and where possible, institute procedures that will be more efficient and reduce legal costs.
- Promotes and practices CAN Community Health Inc's mission and values and follows its policies and procedures.
- Ensures confidentiality is maintained regarding all CAN legal matters, business and financial plans, patient/client information in accordance with HIPAA, professional and departmental standards.
Education/Professional: Vice President, Legal Affairs
- Juris Doctor degree from an accredited, top tier law school.
- 2 to 4 years of broad-based transactional experience practicing in a top tier law firm or healthcare organization, including experience with Ryan White and 340B contracts.
- Strong academic credentials, excellent analytical, organizational, verbal and written skills required.
Competencies: Vice President, Legal Affairs
- Strategic Thinking/Problem Solving
- Results Driven
- Interpersonal Skills
- Judgement & Decision Making
- Time Management
- Service Orientation
- Computer literate, ability to learn and utilize computer software programs.
- Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required:
- Ability to work with minimal supervision.
- Demonstrates excellent judgement, common sense and ability to work with internal and external stakeholders.
- Ability to research projects.
- Open to direction, suggestions and commitment to get the job done.
- Delegates responsibility effectively.
- High comfort working in a diverse environment.
CAN Required Trainings: Vice President, Legal Affairs
- General Orientation HIPAA Sexual Harassment
- Violence in the Workplace HIV/AIDS Health Stream Courses (as assigned)
Work Environment: Vice President, Legal Affairs
This job operates in a professional corporate office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, audio visual, telephones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines.
Physical Requirements: Vice President, Legal Affairs
Neat, professional appearance.
Sedentary- Exerts up to 10 lbs. of force occasionally and/or a negligible amount of force frequently or constantly in lift, carry, push, pull, or otherwise move objects. Involves sitting most of the time but may involve walking or standing for brief periods of time.
Requires expressing or exchanging ideas by means of spoken word, visual and auditory acuity.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work: Vice President, Legal Affairs
This position may require additional time above normal operating hours and on occasion weekend work.
Travel: Vice President, Legal Affairs
Travel is primary during the business day, although some out-of-area and overnight travel may be expected. Must be able to operate a motor vehicle and have valid insurance and driver's license.
Other Duties: Vice President, Legal Affairs
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of an employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Responsible To: Senior Vice President, Chief Compliance Officer
CAN Community Health is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to diversity and values the ways in which we are different. All qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or other characteristic protected by applicable law.