Provides clerical and clinical assistance as required. Prepares patient from triaging through vital signs/medical history. Assists provider and completes procedures, as directed. Establishes, as directed, specialty appointments, calls patients and pharmacies (prescriptions) as requested by providers, as well as other routine clinical assignments. Adheres to Corporate Compliance program, by reporting improper or unethical conduct, violation of applicable laws, regulations or program requirements.
DETAILED DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provide clerical services in the front office as required to include patient registration, cashier, and appointment setting.
- Provide patient care (obtaining vital signs, ascertaining primary problem, preparing patient for provider visit.
- Charting on patient medical record/documentation and record keeping. Knowledge of correct medical record format.
- Track and register patient data for statistical purposes, as required.
- Assess and responds to patient's needs and educates patients regarding health care.
- Assists in obtaining lab specimens.
- Performs special patient treatments as directed, including administration of nebulizers, injections, EKGs, venipunctures, etc.
- Assists with minor surgical procedures. Demonstrates knowledge of aseptic technique and infection control.
- Prepares, administers and records medications, as directed by the provider.
- Communicates effectively with other staff members and displays appropriate use of medical terminology.
- In accordance with universal precautions, equip examination rooms, clean rooms, instruments and sterilize same, according to proper procedures.
- Obtains information from hospital or lab as ordered by physician.
- Disposes of infected material in the proper manner, utilizing red bag container.
- Sets up exam rooms for following day's operation, inventorying and restocking supplies as needed.
- Completes WIC forms, as required.
- Utilizes electronic health record system to enter, retrieve and document patient information, clinical tasks, communications, and physician orders accurately and efficiently.
- Performs other duties, as assigned.
TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE:
- High school diploma, G.E.D. or equivalent training and experience.
- Documentation of completion of a Medical Assistant training program with certification preferred.
- Minimum of 2 years experience as a Medical Assistant in ambulatory care.
- CPR Certification preferred.
- Bilingual skills English/Spanish preferred.
- Prior computer operation experience, medical systems preferred.
- Pleasant phone manners and professional appearance.
- Must be physically qualified to accomplish moderate bending, stooping, lifting (up to 30 pounds). When required, must be able to push, pull, and carry files/file boxes of moderate weight (20-30 pounds).
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Good organizational skills.
- Interpersonal skills and ability to work cooperatively with multi-disciplinary and multi-cultural staff.
- Computer literate with good typing skills, 35wpm.
- Working knowledge of medical terminology.
- Ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Ability to work accurately with cash and receipts and with attention to detail.
- Ability to exhibit cultural sensitivity, patient empathy and respect.
- Skill in operating medical equipment and performing simple lab tests.
- Ability to seek out assistance and information when necessary.
- Competent infection control skills and knowledge.
- Working knowledge of medical records and electronic health record system