Performs under the direct supervision of the dentist. No independent judgment is exercised and emphasis is placed on instruction and training. Employee must demonstrate a willingness to progress to a Dental Assistant II with on the job training and formalized Dental Education. Adheres to Corporate Compliance program, by reporting improper or unethical conduct, violation of applicable laws, regulations or program requirements.
DETAILED DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Assist Dentists with all clinical and clerical procedures.
- Assists with all front desk duties.
- Assist Dentist at chair side.
- Take and record patient blood pressure, pulse, respiration, case history and oral temperature.
- Understand all OSHA requirements for infection control procedures.
- Answer telephone and schedule appointments.
- Study for radiology certification course.
- Prepare patients for dental exam, including taking dental and medical history and charting.
- Take, develop, mount and file dental radiographs and other forms with supervision.
- Prepare instrument trays and operatories.
- Retrieve records from medical records department, completing encounter dailies.
- Perform autoclave monitoring system monthly with accurate log and log of MSDS sheets.
- Completes Dental Assistant skills checklist annually.
- Utilizes electronic oral health record system to enter, retrieve and document patient information accurately and efficiently.
TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE:
- High School Diploma, GED or equivalent training and experience.
- No prior dental experience necessary but must be willing to progress to Dental Assistant II through formal education.
- Bilingual skills English/Spanish preferred.
- CPR certification preferred.
- Some knowledge of dental terminology preferred.
- Good customer relations and professional appearance.
- Ability to perform multiple tasks.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Good manual and finger dexterity.
- Chair side and office competencies must be satisfied after 6-months in position.
- Working knowledge of dental records and electronic oral health record system.