I. GENERAL STATEMENT OF RESPONSIBILITIES
The Human Resources Generalist is a self-starting and passionate individual who will be focused on recruiting, screening, on-boarding and engaging the best applicants for Spectrum Human Services and its affiliated companies. The HR Generalist will be responsible for the onboarding process including scheduling pre-employment physicals, background checks, TB test, drug test, coordinating completion of the I-9 and conducting new hire orientations Additionally, this position is responsible for maintaining required documentation in personnel files and on the Automatic Data Processing (ADP) system. Typical responsibilities include processing changes in status, pay and work assignment; as well as processing workers compensation and unemployment claims. The Human Resources Generalist maintains direct and written contact with management to ensure a smooth employment process and maintenance of accurate employment records.
- Education: Bachelors degree in Human Resources, Business Administration or Business Management is required.
- 2 years of experience in Human Resources with at least one year significantly devoted to recruitment and onboarding is required; 3-4 years of experience is preferred.
- Minimum of one year of experience with ADP HR solution software is required.
- Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to work under pressure and flexibility to adapt to changing deadlines and priorities.,
- Ability to work effectively with individuals from a variety of backgrounds.
- Knowledge of basic Human Resources practices.
- Knowledge of common statutes and regulations affecting human resources and employee relations including the Fair Labor Standards Act, the Family Medical Leave Act, and State and Federal Civil Rights legislation.
- Effective written and other communication skills.
- Good organizational skills.
- Ability to work with Windows based software applications.
- Ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously.
The Human Resources Generalist serves as the first point of contact with employees and management for HR related problem solving and consultation. The HR Generalist ensures that employment decisions are carried out in line with Spectrum policies and that these decisions are legally sound.
Administration and Processing of Personnel Activities
- Creates and maintains personnel files in compliance with State and Federal regulations.
- Enters and maintains information on Human Resources Information System (ADP).
- Monitors personnel file information and notifies employees and/or management of missing documentation or updates.
- Responds to requests for information and secures releases when necessary.
- Prepares reports of employee related statistics as assigned by the supervisor.
- Processes Leave of Absence requests in accordance with FMLA and Agency policy.
- Coordinates open enrollment for employees on annual basis.
- Enrolls and processes employee applications for benefits.
- Responds to employee concerns or questions relating to benefits.
- Ensures that employees are notified of rights under the Consolidated Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act.
- Notifies payroll of benefit changes as it relates to employee contributions or health benefits.
Processing of Workers Compensation Claims
- Processes documentation for work related injuries and reports said injuries to the workers compensation insurance provider.
- Maintains contact with employees on leave for work related injuries, communicating documentation needs and requirements for insurance continuation contributions.
- Maintains contact with the various health care providers.
- Reviews all medical documentation and ensures that employees returning to work have appropriate medical documentation and notifies management staff of any medical restrictions necessitating accommodations.
- Provides regular reports of workers compensation claims and losses to the HR Business Partner and VP Human Resources.
Processing of Unemployment Claims
- Obtains and provides required information in response to unemployment claims.
- Maintains contact with agency representatives to dispute claims.
- Participates in hearings.
- Provides regular reports of unemployment activity and monitors problem areas and participates in correcting areas of deficiency.
- Provides cost control training to supervisory personnel on unemployment case handling.
Recruitment, Hiring & New Employee Orientation
- Reviews all Job Requisitions and posts all openings internally.
- Ensures that all job postings are circulated to the various recruitment sources.
- Develops print advertisements and ensures that they are clear and legally sound.
- Under the approval of the HR Business Partner, submits print ads for publication.
- Manages applicant flow; maintaining data on responses and vacancy rates.
- Reviews all new hire packets, ensuring that they are complete and provides feedback to supervisory staff on any problem areas that require correction.
- Approves and completes required authorization for post offer physical, drug screens, criminal history background checks, and driving record checks.
- Facilitates new employee orientation on a regular basis for program set, ensuring that materials and information are up-to-date.
- Acts as a resource to Administrative staff and Supervisors.
- Maintains confidentiality regarding employee information.
- Attends and contributes to HR Department meetings and continuous quality improvement activities.
- Attends required trainings as directed by Human Resources Business Partner.
- Participates in the development of supervisory training and presents said training for HR related topics.
The selected candidate must successfully complete a comprehensive background check including medical clearance (TB test, drug screen & physical), DHHS clearance and MVR clearance.