Summary: The Director of Operations is responsible for providing leadership, direction and focus to support business development and operational performance excellence. A successful candidate will have strong communication, leadership, change management and operational oversight skills and will be responsible for delivering consistently excellent service to our customers balanced with business growth and profitability.
The Director of Operations will act as a liaison with the executive team and oversee sales, fulfillment, and service for the Carbonic division (two locations) and the syrup production facility (one location). The Director of Operations will also partner with the Propane division Regional Manager to provide high-level support and guidance.
Duties & Responsibilities
1. Provides leadership to plant managers by leading organizational change; developing and empowering staff; building effective teams; driving engagement and creating a climate where staff are motivated to do their best.
2. Leads team; selects/hires; develops objectives; coaches and evaluates performance. Ensures direct reports obtain applicable training and development opportunities to enhance performance, development, and contributions to the company. Holds direct reports accountable for individual and team performance. Addresses performance issues appropriately and timely.
3. Partner with executive leadership to design and execute sales strategy, marketing and business development activities that increase market penetration and productivity, develop/enhance customer relationships and ensures a profitable and sustainable business model.
4. Oversee sales team in the Carbonic and Propane divisions. Partner with executive leadership to design incentive compensation strategy, set customer pricing, review ROI and negotiate pricing on significant accounts.
5. Provide strategic leadership and oversight for start-up syrup production operations. Including new product introduction activities, technical and business process oversight.
6. Ensures compliance with all federal, state, and locals laws pertaining to employment, safety, and DOT regulations. Ensures safety training is completed as required or as appropriate, complete incident investigations and reporting within the required timeframe. Participate in safety walkthroughs and continuous improvement activities. Develop a culture where safety and compliance are a priority.
7. Ensures compliance with Food and Drug Administration (FDA) regulations.
8. Other duties as may be assigned.
Proven experience in a managerial role, including the ability to motivate and lead people, and hold employees accountable. Experience in a distribution environment is preferred.
Excellent communication, collaboration and interpersonal skills
Strategic mindset; able to develop a vision and long-range plan for the divisions while effectively driving execution.
Problem-solve and creatively think of innovative solutions.
Balance customer satisfaction with cost-effectiveness.
Knowledge of federal, state, and local regulations applicable to distribution and production operations. Including, but not limited to occupational safety and DOT regulations.
Bachelor's degree in business management or related field plus six years managerial experience; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Ability to read and comprehend simple instructions, short correspondence, and memos. Ability to write simple correspondence. Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations to customers, clients, and other employees of the organization.
Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent and to draw and interpret bar graphs.
Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out detailed but uninvolved written or oral instructions. Ability to deal with problems involving a few concrete variables in standardized situations.
To perform this job successfully, an individual should have knowledge of word processing software, spreadsheet software, internet software, and order processing systems.
High school diploma or general education degree (GED); and two to four years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Forklift certification in house
Hydro testing certification
Dry ice machines
Dry ice saw
Knowledge, Skills, and Other Abilities:
Ability to operate hand held devices
Time management skills
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to stand, walk, sit, use hands, and taste or smell. The employee is occasionally required to reach with hands and arms. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 70 pounds.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to work near moving mechanical parts, fumes or airborne particles, toxic or caustic chemicals, outdoor weather conditions, and vibration.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.