We started Blokable in 2016 to make quality housing for everyone. We develop housing to force the market to work. Our unique Blokable Building System (BBS) unlocks previously unavailable efficiencies through standardized, prefab housing components called Bloks which we use to construct middle-density, multi-story residential buildings and communities. We don't sell our Bloks into the industry; we are vertically integrated prefabricated housing developers, developing both market rate and not for profit projects. By vertically integrated the development process and leveraging our internally developed and manufactured prefabricated building system we generate enormous efficiencies in the development process and create real estate equity. The newly created real estate equity creates wealth for our business, stakeholders, and the communities we build. This is a new paradigm for housing creation and a real solution for the housing crisis.
To learn more about our business model we encourage you to review our website and to watch this video: https://vimeo.com/341024376/61a3854170
The Blokable Building System is a precise, high-performance volumetric assembly that ships from our factory as a 95% complete living unit, requiring a minimum of site work to install and finish. We use structural and non-structural steel for multi-story structure, non-combustible walls, floors, and ceilings, and have an internally engineered hardware and software platform that allows owners to monitor building safety, security, and performance in real time. We are based in Sacramento, California. We're continually improving as we move from construction to manufacturing, adding manufacturing processes and specifications and preparing to expand our manufacturing capacity.
Blokable is well financed by world class, mission aligned investors including Vulcan Capital ,Kapor Capital , Launch , Revolution Ventures , Building Ventures , Urban.us , Ferguson Ventures , and others. The people of Blokable come from a broad range of backgrounds including real estate development, finance, architecture, product design, engineering, technology, law, manufacturing, and construction. We work for each other and have all joined Blokable to work every day on the housing problem. We have very ambitious goals and a clear, though challenging path ahead to force the housing market to work.
Position Purpose and Overview
The Senior Product Engineering Manager will be responsible for managing the Blokable Building System (BBS) strategic programs from R&D through production planning and completion as well as managing the Product Team designers and engineers. You are someone who has a track record of over-delivering, has delivered within a fluid and iterative development environment, and has found positive paths forward within an organization comprised of varying stakeholders and requirements. As Senior Product Engineering Manager, you will take the lead on gap analysis of team capabilities to build out the hiring and team growth roadmap, drive engineering and design success by providing clear milestones and metrics that ensure individuals and teams stay on track and are in sync, and communicate transparently and effectively with leadership to ensure everyone is on the same page regarding progress and can remove obstacles as they arise.
You will be required to constantly monitor high level Blokable leadership goals and work with program leads to translate them into plans and deliverables. A key to your success will be the ability to create a team culture based on achievement through collaboration, transparency, and flexibility. As the Senior Product Engineering Manager, you will continually push BBS engineering and design programs and product team staff by developing outcome-based sprint activities and executing formidable team management skills, while maintaining a high level of product team member engagement, building mutual respect across the Blokable Product Team. This is truly an opportunity to work closely with technologists, engineers, and business, and real estate leaders where success means being a part of the solution to solving the housing crisis.
Areas of Strategic Focus:
- Responsible for managing BBS programs and initiatives as determined by the company's VP of Product
- Responsible for management and professional development of the Product design and engineering team members
- Develop team assessment and skill gap analysis and identify team growth requirements to present to VP of Product
- Work with the leadership team to remove obstacles and bottlenecks, ensure business priorities are accurately captured in engineering programs, and to communicate and manage and adjust priorities as necessary
- Create a high velocity engineering culture. Eliminate distractions, filter ambiguity, and celebrate consistent results
- Bring together engineering and design disciplines (mechanical, structural, technical design, systems development, architecture) into a cohesive product development effort and output
- Continually research new engineering and design techniques, technology, and components to enhance or improve current processes
- Coordinate and oversee engineering and design activities of the Product Team, outside consultants, and/or contractors working on BBS initiatives or programs
Specific functions and responsibilities:
- Intimate knowledge of project management techniques; utilize project management tools to define critical paths and risk mitigation plans
- Change management experience with cross functional teams to improve operational metrics
- Drive R&D growth through strategic product vendor, supplier, and consultant collaboration, idea generation, and prototyping
- Develop work processes and action plans to guide timely and cost-effective development of BBS R&D programs, maintaining the system of budget and schedule control
- Oversee planning and drafting of drawings, schematics, product specifications, bill of materials, operation manuals and other necessary documentation required for successful completion of engineering efforts
- Oversee the BBS Product team to ensure every phase of the design or engineering effort is completed accurately, on time, and within budget
- Lead by example, maintain a positive attitude, big-picture perspective, and personal accountability
- Proven ability to motivate and lead engineering or design teams, drive change, and work within cross functional teams
- Mentor and coach team as well as develop career and succession plans
Skills / Competencies:
- Strong demonstration of multi-disciplinary design innovation, product, or engineering team management
- Excellent mentoring skills
- Analytical and trouble-shooting skills
- In depth understanding of the business value of process & business performance applications
- Exhibit critical-thinking skills and ability to cultivate a culture where we own mistakes, learn from them, and ensure that appropriate corrective, supportive and preventative measures are put in place
Experience and Education:
- Bachelor's professional degree in design, architecture, or engineering fields. Masters level a plus
- 7+ years of experience with product development or engineering innovation project management
- 5+ years of experience in an engineering leadership or team management role
We offer unlimited potential for motivated professionals, great compensation, and full benefits.
Equal Opportunity Employer
We provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, marital status, veteran status, or any other consideration made unlawful by federal, state, or local laws.