The Support Engineer position involves performing a customer facing, analytical role in the onboarding (new orders and interop) and ongoing support of potential and existing clients and vendors. Interop requires the engineer to work with customers to test services they will be purchasing and vendors Magna5 will be utilizing, in a highly technical and collaborative test environment. The engineer will have a hands-on role in utilizing various tools to capture and review calls and messaging. In hand with Interop, the Support Engineer will perform tasks associated with the installation and testing of all on site network and customer transport, signaling, private line and data services.
The Support Engineer will also have the daily task of supporting customers with higher level complex telecommunications issues. Individuals in this position must be able to prioritize issues, understand network design, and use the appropriate routing permissions and tools to diagnose and provide resolution in a timely manner. Strong communication and multi-tasking skills are needed to interact with internal departments, external vendors as well as being able to communicate in a non-technical language with customers.
The Support Engineer III will be hands-on and will have a passion for solving technical challenges. They will be able to work in a team environment to reach all company objectives. In addition, the Support Engineer III will work in conjunction with the Director of Support Engineering to support internal and external customers to attain the company's key performance initiatives established in the company's strategic plan.
FUNCTIONAL RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES
Support Network and Voice – Install:
- Complete engineering tasks in a timely manner for service delivery and turn up.
- Configures equipment that supports product delivery to customers.
- Upkeeps documentation and inventory for IP Allocation, VLANs and port assignments, and any other facilities.
- Configure and support hosted services.
- Produce and implement test plans on any new or changed network elements.
- Configure and pretest routes/services.
- Conducts carrier and customer circuit (access strategy) testing and maintenance.
- Research RFC compliance and best practice documentation as needed.
- Collaborates with other department heads and subject matter experts (SME's).
- Shares with customers preventive maintenance and configuration recommendations to improve product usability, performance, and customer satisfaction.
- Acts as a good steward of Magna5 resources and is conscientious of costs and efficiency.
- Produce and deliver training to other Support Engineers and Departments.
Support Network and Support – Post Install:
- Provides timely communication and follow up in resolution of tickets/inquiries/interop.
- Monitor the Engineering Support queue/inbox and maintain internal and external intervals to resolution.
- Tier III trouble shooting support, internal and external.
- Perform high level network performance tests.
- Reviewing and interpreting telephony messaging to diagnose issues for SIP and TDM services.
- Knowledge of least cost routing.
- Utilize tools such as SolarWinds, Homer, Wireshark, CDR viewer
- Temp or full-service restoration.
- Detailed documentation.
- Provide consultation to Engineering Support II and I on managed equipment.
- Knowledge shares with internal teammates to close any gaps in experience providing fluid and transparent customer experience.
- Create and pass through scheduled maintenance notifications and maintain notification database.
- Additional projects set and identified by Magna5s upper management.
- Provide remote hands for Network Engineers in equipment access, cross-connects, testing, etc.
- Support new and existing revenue and sales opportunities, including on site customer facing meetings.
- After-hours maintenance windows supporting network projects or standard routine maintenance events.
- After hours support Support Level 3 contact for after hours customer or network emergencies.
Bachelor's degree preferred in technology or engineering, or equivalent industry time experience. Relevant and significant industry experience may provide as a substitute for the education requirement.
Minimum of 3 years' experience in the Network Services and/or Information Technology arena.
- Cisco Certified Network Associate (CCNA) or equivalent Juniper experience; Required
- Cisco Certified Network Professional (CCNP) or equivalent Juniper experience; Preferred
- Secession Boarder Controller- (SBC) experience preferable but not required
- Voice Carrier experience; Required
Special Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge in IP & VoIP networking, data communications and systems engineering
- Basic knowledge of switching.
- Design and Engineer NNI (National Network Interface) Networks
- Wide area of expertise in ancillary technologies such as management and metric gathering tools, PCAP's packet capturing tools, taps and spanning, and automated alerts and alarm tools
- Knowledge and experience in wide range of technologies, including router, Session Border Controller, multiplexer and switch design and architecture as well as transport, routing and signaling protocols, ATM, Cable (DOCSIS), Frame Relay and Terrestrial Leased line, SS7, ISDN, and Inband signaling.
- Knowledge of TDM based Central Office equipment.
- Knowledge of Merakis, ADTRAN's, Tellabs, Overture, Cerent and various Gateways, Fiber Optic MUX's
- Experience with channel banks, DCS, DSX panels and how they relate to the industry as a whole
- Familiarity with the concept and challenges of switch collapse (TDM to VoIP services)
- Experience with vendor interface and management, equipment selection and budgeting
- Proficient at analyzing TCP Dump, Wireshark and other packet capture software with a specific expertise and thorough understanding of RFC3261
- Analyze, understand and interpret work situations, technical documents, reports and results
- Systems engineering experience with good integration and cross-platform support
- Familiar with the LERG, LEC Tariff, and Local Calling Area databases
- Familiar with external LEC call flow databases including; SMS 800, NPAC, CNAM P