Summary & Objective
The Assistant, Admissions obtains required information to determine and verify eligibility for patient and/or resident admission based on payer guidelines, in accordance with established policies and procedures.
- Secures all necessary data from referral sources and relays to liaisons.
- Work with resident and/or patient, family and professionals to process and ensure efficient admission.
- Admits, transfers, and discharges patients and/or residents in accordance with established policies and procedures.
- Maintains daily/monthly census report as directed.
- Obtains and secures all referral data from referral sources such as hospitals, discharge planners, Case Managers, Physicians and responds to referral source and Community Liaison within a timely manner.
- Create admission face sheets and completes all admissions paperwork to initiate obtaining signatures of patients and/or residents or responsible party on all required form, releases, authorizations, etc
- Maintains Admissions Control Board with color-coded magnets.
- Ensures transfer/discharge data entered into clinical database is accurate.
- Answer public inquiries both written and verbal regarding policy and procedure for admissions. Prepares pre-admission packets for mailing upon request.
- Consults with the interdisciplinary team and/or Director, Executive/ Administrator to determine medical eligibility by providing the medical history on potential admissions when necessary.
- Conducts tours of the facility to potential patient and/or resident and/or responsible party to secure admission.
- Maintains admission waiting list in accordance with established policies and procedures if applicable.
- Maintains confidentiality of all pertinent care information for patients and/or residents in accordance with HIPPA guidelines and established policies and procedures.
- Obtains insurance authorizations/levels, verifies Medicare / Medicaid eligibility through online services verifies supplemental insurance, demographic and contract information prior to admission and follows up as necessary.
- Assists with collection of up front monies for new admissions.
- Obtains medical information and determines if Medicare, Insurance and/or Managed Care will cover based on payer guidelines.
- Verify insurance benefits to determine financial eligibility on Medicare, Medicaid, HMO, Insurance, Charity, Private pay etc.
- Utilizes established system to verify insurance contracts to determine levels, and verify inclusion and exclusions as well as pharmacy.
- Obtains all signatures from patients and/or residents or responsible party in a timely manner.
- Requests copies of insurance cards, driver's license, living wills and/or P.O.A.'s, and scans into clinical software when available.
- Assigns appropriate physician depending on insurance.
- Informs receptionist and nursing units of expected pending admissions.
- Must exhibit excellent customer service and a positive attitude towards residents and/or patients, colleagues, physicians and community.
- Communicates with the Director, Admission of any issues and department needs.
*Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the position.
- Provides orientation to new employees as needed.
- Maintain your required license, certifications and mandatory skill updates.
- Complies with all policies, local, state and federal laws and regulations.
- Perform other duties as assigned
- May serve as an interim department leader depending on need.
- Must be able to lift and/or move up to 50 pounds and push/pull up to 250+ pounds, walk, climb stair or ladders, stand on feet for extended periods of time, etc
The job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee. Other duties, responsibilities and activities may change or be assigned at any time.
CHS provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Knowledge & Experience Requirements
- High School diploma or general education degree (GED)
- 1-2 years of experience in a Health Care Facility preferred
- Must have knowledge of computer office/clinical software
- Must be able to read, write and understand the English language