Summary & Objective
The Secretary, Unit performs all clerical and receptionist duties under the supervision of a licensed nurse on a specific nursing unit and under the management of the Director, Nursing Services or designee.
- Performs receptionist and clerical duties on the unit.
- Orders necessary secretarial/office supplies and forms to maintain functional, organized nursing station.
- Greets and assists patients and/or residents, visitors, family members, physicians, and other staff looking for assistance.
- Coordinates delivery of all necessary Durable Medical Equipment (DME) as ordered by physician and/or Nursing Manager.
- Schedules appointments and transportation for residents and/or patients as ordered by physician and/or Nursing Manager.
- Communicates with family members as necessary for upcoming patient and/or resident appointments.
- Assembles/dissembles medical charts for all patients and/or residents upon admission, transfer and/or discharge.
- Forward completed dissembled charts of discharged patients to the HIM Department
- Thins current medical records charts according to established policy and forwards to HIM Department if applicable
- Prepares laboratory, radiology and other diagnostic requisitions according to physician orders.
- Places calls to physicians' offices and to other departments as requested by nursing management.
- Ensures that each resident has all required resident identification materials within 24 hours of admission.
- Keeps nursing station clean and clutter free.
- Communicates any problems or concerns to the Manager, Nurse or designee in a timely fashion.
*Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the position.
- Maintains flexibility in assignment changes due to census fluctuation.
- Floats to other units as assigned to meet patient and/or resident care needs.
- Provides orientation to new employees as needed.
- Maintain your required license, certifications and mandatory skill updates.
- Comply with all policies, local, state and federal laws and regulations.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- May serve as an interim department leader depending on need
- Must be able to lift and/or move up to 50 pounds and push/pull up to 250+ pounds, walk, climb stair or ladders, stand on feet for extended periods of time, etc.
The job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee. Other duties, responsibilities and activities may change or be assigned at any time.
CHS provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Knowledge & Experience Requirements
- Clear and Active Certified Nursing Assistant certification to practice in the state of Florida preferred
- CPR certification
- 1 year experience preferred
- Must have knowledge of computer office software
- Must be able to read, write and understand the English language