Summary & Objective
The Technician, HIM completes assigned tasks within the HIM department and assists the Director in maintaining departmental documentation standards, that meet current federal, state and local government and accrediting organization guidelines that govern the facility.
- Coordinates timely completion of medical records of discharged residents and patients.
- Responsible for the release of health information to all requestors including but not limited to subpoenas, patients and/or residents, physicians, other health care providers, insurance companies, attorney, etc.
- Maintains security and confidentiality standards for access and review of health information.
- Maintains the correspondence log of all request and payments received.
- Reviews medical records for completeness using generated audit tool, assembles records into standard order and scans into EMR system.
- Maintains/scans thinned documents for active Long Term Care patients if applicable.
- Prints and files physician's transcription documentation in a timely manner.
- Contact providers and assist during the medical record completion process.
- ICD-10 coding on an as needed basis or as requested by Director, Health Information Management (HIM).
- Communicates with the Director, Health Information Management (HIM) of any Medical Records requests and department needs.
*Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the position.
- Attends educational programs and in-service meetings
- Provides orientation to new employees as needed.
- Maintain your required license, certifications and mandatory skill updates.
- Comply with all policies, local, state and federal laws and regulations.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- May serve as an interim department leader depending on need.
- Must be able to lift and/or move up to 50 pounds and push/pull up to 250+ pounds, walk, climb stair or ladders, stand on feet for extended periods of time, etc.
The job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee. Other duties, responsibilities and activities may change or be assigned at any time.
CHS provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Knowledge & Experience Requirements
- High School diploma or general education degree (GED)
- 1 - 2 years of HIM related experience and/or training
- Knowledge of ICD-10 is preferred
- Knowledge of EMR software and HIPPA regulation guidelines.
- Must have knowledge of computer office/clinical software
- Must be able to read, write and understand the English language