Lynker is looking to hire a Vessel Monitoring System (VMS) Analyst in St. Petersburg, FL.
The Department of Commerce, National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA), National Marine Fisheries Service (NMFS), is responsible for the stewardship of the nation's living marine resources and their habitats. NMFS Southeast Regional Office (SERO) located in St. Petersburg, Florida is responsible for the management of federal fisheries in waters adjacent to coastal states from North Carolina through Texas, as well as Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands in the U.S. Caribbean.
The Southeast For-Hire Integrated Electronic Reporting (SEFHIER) program will use electronic reporting to collect data on catch and effort from all for-hire vessels (> 3,000) with federal for-hire permits for reef fish, coastal migratory pelagics, dolphin wahoo, and snapper-grouper in the Gulf of Mexico (Gulf) and Atlantic (Maine to Texas). Previously, landings information was obtained from less than 3% of all federally permitted for-hire vessels.
Key tasks include the following:
- A team of Contractors will provide program support to monitor all positioning system devices to verify that the devices are powered on and transmitting; required declarations and reports are submitted in accordance with SEFHIER requirements; and process any power-down requests for the positioning units.
- The Contractors shall provide customer service support with regard to the electronic reporting requirements.
- The Contractors shall monitor VMS (both satellite and cellular) devices for compliance, such as ensuring a system is installed and working correctly, troubleshooting devices, and managing power-down exemptions.
- Participates in initial orientation period.
- Attends SEFHIER meetings, when requested.
- Review of VMS locations and power down exemptions for approximately 2,462 logbooks submitted weekly. Based on this, it is expected that enforcement analysts will spend between 30-40 hours of each week on review of data through VMS systems.
- Compiles monthly reports on location tracking as related to the SEFHIER program.
- Tracks customer service calls in tracking system, daily.
- Monthly progress report to include, but not necessarily be limited to, the following: accomplishments, issues encountered, travel (including purpose, significant outcomes, action items), recommendations, if applicable.
- Excellent interpersonal and customer service skills, ability to deal with challenging personalities.
- Ability to work with interdisciplinary teams to develop recommendations for improvements in operating procedures.
- Knowledge of VMS systems and regulations.
- Tabulates and prepares data obtained from internal and external files for use in analyzing patterns and ways of representing them.
- Assists in reviewing data for trends, internal consistency, and relationship to project activities.
- Prepares files and spreadsheets using software to identify potential data production flaws, provides assistance on developing and implementing quality assurance plans for compliance, data analysis, and operations.
- Prepares memoranda and assists in preparation of reports on position tracking and electronic reporting data.
- Ability to work independently to monitor data.
- Analyze and review audit data and creates reports for SEFHIER program lead.
- Past experience with performing enforcement or compliance type work to assist in the development and operation of permit compliance with electronic systems and reporting requirements.
- Build and maintain positive working relationships with co-workers, law enforcement personnel.
- Perform basic analysis and produce intelligence planning data analysis reports, compliance reports, communication activities, trouble-shooting issues, and solutions reporting.
- One to seven years of electronic monitoring or similar experience.
- Bachelor degree in criminal investigation, computer science, or information technology.
- Knowledge of Gulf and Atlantic fisheries.
- Knowledge of fishery management processes (e.g., Fishery management councils, fishery management plan amendments).
- Experience working directly with the fishing community.
- Knowledge of federal policies/procedures for VMS systems.
- Knowledge of type approval requirements and approved GPS/VMS-SF/VMS equipment.
Lynker Technologies, LLC is a growing, Hub-zone certified small business specializing in professional, scientific and technical services. Our continually expanding team combines scientific expertise with mature, results-driven processes and tools to achieve technically sound, cost effective solutions in hydrology/water sciences, geospatial analysis, information technology, resource management, conservation, and management and business process improvement.
We focus on putting the right people in the right place to be effective. And having the right people is critical for success. Our streamlined organization enables and empowers our talented professionals to tackle our customers' scientific and technical priorities – creatively and effectively.
Lynker offers a team-oriented work environment, competitive salaries and benefits, and the opportunity to work in a culture of exceptionally skilled and diverse professionals who embrace sound science and creative solutions.
Lynker is an E-Verify employer.
Lynker Technologies is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and veterans to apply.