The Washington Health Benefit Exchange is a public-private partnership that operates the WAPlanfinder mobile app and Washington Healthplanfinder, the eligibility and enrollment portal used by one in four Washington residents to obtain health and dental coverage. Through Washington Healthplanfinder, individuals and families can compare and enroll in health insurance coverage and gain access to financial help and public programs like Washington Apple Health.
The mission of the Exchange, a state-based marketplace, is to radically improve how Washington residents secure health insurance through innovative and practical solutions, an easy-to-use customer experience, our values of integrity, respect, equity and transparency, and by providing undeniable value to the health care community.
The Exchange is also committed to identify and reach groups at risk for obstacles to access coverage, which includes supporting those who need assistance overcoming barriers to seek, find, and use their health insurance coverage. Specifically, the Exchange is embracing the following equity statement:
Equity is a fundamental pillar to the society we seek to build. The process of advancing toward equity will be disruptive and demands vigilance, dismantling deeply entrenched systems of privilege and oppression. We must focus our efforts on people and places where needs are greatest, especially communities of color, and go beyond remedying a particular inequity to address all determinants of health.
Our goal is that all Washingtonians have full and equal access to opportunities, power and resources to achieve their full potential.
The UX Research Specialist will be responsible for conceptualizing and forming product and website improvements and features and evaluating the usability and success of all our product touchpoints.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Design and conduct usability research studies, gather quantitative and qualitative data and implement best practices to report findings/insights.
- Research user personas and investigate user behavior. Identify customer needs and goals.
- Lead the internal teams throughout the process of proposing, wireframing, and implementing UX improvements.
- Lead design workshops and brainstorming activities for product development.
- Work closely with UI/UX Designers, product management, and marketing teams to identify research topics.
- Lead recruitment activities for user research.
- Plan and implement the overall user research strategy and methods to help define the product vision.
- Support the design team through UI/UX activities as needed.
- Other duties and projects as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in communications or closely allied field AND at least two years of progressively responsible experience in program development work. (NOTE: Qualifying experience may substitute year for year for education.)
- Two years of experience using Microsoft Office Software, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, and/or Access.
- Experience in user-centered design, web interaction design, design process, analytics, and moderated and unmoderated usability studies.
- Experience in inclusive design and design principles.
- Understanding of WCAG 2.1 AA requirements and digital accessibility requirements.
- Experience using digital design tools such as Adobe Creative Suite, Invision, Axure, etc. Motivated self- starter with initiative to take independent action and accept responsibility for actions.
- Well organized, flexible, proactive, resourceful, and efficient with strong attention to detail.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills; Ability to take complex information and distill it into easy-to-understand language.
- Ability to prioritize and manage multiple projects simultaneously and follow-through on issues in a timely manner.
- Creatively and proactively problem solve; work independently and collaborate to come up with innovative and customer centric product solutions.
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work with all levels of business and technical management and staff, as well as outside clients, vendors, diverse populations, stakeholder groups, and customers.
- Experience problem solving for complex digital systems.
- Experience working in Agile/Scrum software development.
- Experience using Drupal or similar web content management systems.
This position will be open until we find a suitable number of candidates to review. If interested, please submit an application as soon as possible. The Exchange reserves the right to close the recruitment at any time.
The posted salary is the new hire range of consideration. Full salary range is from $72,644 - $105,330. Offer will depend on qualifications.
Core business hours are 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday. Travel requirements will be limited to local travel, however there may be occasions were an employee is required to travel and work irregular hours to attend meetings or trainings. Duties of this position require the use of standard office furniture and equipment (e.g. desk, filing cabinet, computer, printer, telephone, fax machine, copy machine, etc.).
The working conditions and physical demands are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
A criminal background screen will be conducted for candidates under final consideration, and if hired, every five years of employment where highly sensitive data is processed or maintained by the position. The result of this background screen must meet the Exchange’s eligibility standards.
A criminal background screen will be conducted for candidates under final consideration, and if hired, every five years of employment where highly sensitive data is processed or maintained by the position. The incumbent in this role will also be required to complete a federal fingerprint background check. The results of these background screens must meet the Exchange’s eligibility standards.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and levels of work being performed. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of responsibilities, duties and skills of personnel so classified.
This is not an employment agreement or contract. Management has the exclusive right to alter this job description at any time without notice.
The Washington Health Benefit Exchange is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.
EOE AA M/F/Vet/Disability