See all jobs in Point Mugu NAWC CA
Job Location: Point Mugu NAWC, CA
Location: US-CA-Point Mugu NAWC
Job ID: 2020-2272
# of Openings: 6
Category: Skilled Trades
SJS Executives is seeking a HVAC mechanic. Our ideal candidate will complete maintenance and repair of complex heating systems; steam production and distribution systems; and the systems that supply steam to propel turbines and generators. The candidate will also be skilled in the use of hand tools and a wide variety of trade equipment and have the ability to interpret and apply building plans, blueprints, diagrams and engineering drawings and uses formulas.
- Works from ladders, scaffolding and platforms, and where parts of the systems worked on are hard to reach places.
- Considerable standing, climbing, stooping, bending, stretching and working in cramped, awkward positions.
- Frequently lists, carries, and set up items weighting up to 50 pounds.
- Occasionally may lifts items weighting over 50 pounds with assistance or use of materials handling equipment.
- Receive assignments in the form of work orders oral instructions, or follows established maintenance schedules.
- Systems include a central steam distribution system, diesel, natural gas, propane, and kerosene fired space heating systems, general and special purpose air conditioning systems, ice machines, refrigerators, and freezers, (household type and commercial walk-in), display cases, water coolers, ice cream cabinets, beverage dispensers, beer coolers, salad bars.
- Perform full range of work involved in the repair, overhaul, maintenance and servicing of industrial and domestic reach-in and walk-in refrigerators; air-conditioning units and systems; ventilating systems, freezers; water coolers; dehumidifiers and related equipment; and cold storage and cold room equipment.
- Diagnose and locate malfunctions.
- Check heating, ventilating refrigeration, and air conditioning systems ensure that systems are operating properly.
- Read and calibrate gauges, thermostats and thermometers.
- Check expansion coils for excessive ice formation, listens for unusual noises.
- Check oil refrigerant level in systems and checks piping and fittings for refrigerant leaks.
- Check air filters for cleanliness, operation of fans, dampers, louvers, and control of air movement.
- Test and treat water in closed heating and cooling systems and water-cooled condensers to control deposit of soil and algae.
- Install maintain, replace and/or adjust as necessary compressors, pumps, blowers, fans, copper tubing, heat exchange equipment, various types of valves, filters, and dryers, pressures control devices, temperature, humidity, and air control devices of both electrical and pneumatic types.
- Repair troubleshoots, and install large complicated heating units and systems including oil and gas fired low and higher-pressure boilers, steam production and distribution plans and turbine and generator power plants.
- Heating and power units include a variety of complex auxiliary components, automatic controls, circulating systems, super-heaters, pre-heaters economizers, etc. installs new heating plants, boilers, furnaces, piping, pumps and controls, and connects new equipment to existing facilities.
- Install, maintain and repair steam traps, pressure reducing valves, temperature controlling valves, heat exchangers, steam heating systems.
- Works alone or with other workers to perform simple or complex tasks while following appropriate and safe procedures.
- Responsible for reporting to the workload manager all discrepancies or unsatisfactory performance of equipment as well as unsafe conditions.
- Must be familiar and comply with all safety regulations.
- Must wear appropriate safety equipment.
- Must be able to trace and locate equipment failure and perform complex repairs on large expensive components and equipment.
- Must have a thorough knowledge of refrigeration and air conditioning practices including understanding pneumatic, electronic, and electrical control circuits.
- Must have full working knowledge of various types of ventilating systems including steam, electrical gas and oil-fired types. Read blueprints, specifications or sketches. Solves problems using arithmetic or practical mathematics. Uses test instruments related to the trade.
- Must be familiar with refrigerant liquids, their characteristic, proper operating pressures and temperatures at either saturated for super heated conditions and safe handling.
- Must know brazing and soldering techniques.
- Must be able to operate assigned motor vehicle on the job (pick-up truck).
- Must have knowledge of environmental laws and regulations and must be certified on Freon recovery equipment. The work requires refrigeration cycle knowledge in order to diagnose a variety of large complex commercial and industrial air-conditioning systems and to make extensive repairs quickly so that inoperative time can be kept to a minimum.
- Must be able to repair or build major units (e.g. pumps, impellers, compressors, chillers, evaporators, etc.) and place them back in the system and fine tune the components to achieve the proper balance.
- U.S Citizen or Resident Alien
- Valid Driver's License
- Minimum 4 years of experience as a HVAC mechanic
- Universal EPA Certification - before starting position
- CPR Certification - before starting position
- Must be able to pass background check and drug screen
- Must be have clean driving record
SJS Executives, LLC is EOE, AA, M/F/Vet/Disability compliant. US Citizenship required for most jobs.