Do you want to work for growing, family-owned company who is focused on providing high quality and value to its customers?
The Norfolk Companies was founded in 1934. We have been in business for over 85 years and continue to grow year after year. Come and be part of this fun, fast paced, family atmosphere.
The Norfolk Companies consists of Norfolk Hardware and Home Center, Norfolk Kitchen and Bath, and Northeast Cabinet and Countertop Distributors. Norfolk Hardware and Home Center is a full-service hardware store and home center located in Boston.
Northeast Cabinet and Countertop Distributors is a manufacturing business specializing in the production of cabinets, countertops, and custom case work.
The Norfolk Companies continues to grow, and we are searching for a professional person to join our team as our Account Receivable Specialist. The Accounts Receivable Specialist will be responsible for performing accounting and administrative tasks as it relates to the efficient maintenance, processing and collection of outstanding accounts receivable on customer accounts, as well as company billing, and order cleanup. .Requirements:
- Actively communicate with customers via phone and email to collect payment from delinquent accounts
- Work closely with the hardware store associates to resolve customer credit issues, and empower store associates
- Review creditworthiness and process credit applications for new accounts
- Set up new cash and A/R accounts in a timely manner, including proper documentation of tax status
- Maintain files and documentation thoroughly and accurately, in accordance with company policies and accepted accounting practices
- Maintain audit trail by gathering appropriate documentation during collection process and resolution
- Review daily invoicing for exceptions, errors, etc.
- Review daily credits, investigating large amounts, and process rebilling when necessary
- Review open order status for old orders or certain status, working with team to resolve where needed
- Perform daily maintenance to existing accounts including reviewing authorized to charge names, maintaining and reviewing credit limits with a focus on business growth and retainment, lapsed customers, etc.
- Take initiative and action to resolve, respond and follow up regarding customer issues in a timely manner
- Research and resolve payment discrepancies. Contact customers to investigate complaints
- Document customer communication and subsequent actions continuously on customer records in BizTrack system (company operating system)
- Handle company mail and disburse where necessary
- Post cash receipts, adjustments and postings daily
- Prepare bank deposits (as needed)
- Print monthly customer statements and prepare for mailing
- Work with the sales management team to review the aging report
- Work with attorneys when debts become significantly past due or a client is unresponsive to collection efforts
- Ensure Company POS and credit policies are being followed and notify non-compliance to management
- Assist Multi-family construction division and Controller with monthly AIA billing
- Assist with Accounts Payable and other department tasks as needed including invoice entry
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Solid understanding of collection practices, techniques and applicable laws
- Aptitude for math and able to utilize Excel for work efficiency including downloads and basic data manipulation
- Being able to work and engage in a team environment, with a Company-growth mindset.
- Self-motivated to drive achievement of department and company goals
- Detailed, organized in work processes
- Clear oral and written communication skills
- Strong negotiation and problem-solving skills
- Professional, customer and associate-friendly phone etiquette
Education and Experience
- 3+ year Accounts Receivable and collections experience in a multi-company structure
- 2+ year experience working within a home improvement/construction/retail industry preferred
- Experience working with Great Plains software, preferred
- Aptitude to learn company ERP system (BisTrack)
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Excel, Outlook
- Associate degree in accounting/business management or equivalent
- Valid drivers license as may be required to pick up payments from customer sites
- Able to sit for long periods of time
- Able to stoop, bend for filing
- Regularly required to talk and hear through customer interactions
- Starting time of 7am to coincide with hardware store hours is required
The Norfolk Companies provide competitive benefits including medical & dental insurance, 401k with a generous company match, Paid Time Off, uniforms, free company fitness center (at our Braintree location) and voluntary vision, life & short-term disability insurance