Speedling Incorporated, a global leader in the production of transplants and the development of horticultural products and technology since 1968 with locations in Florida, Georgia, Texas, and California. We have high standards and our employees constantly strive to reach even higher levels of success. Speedling growth is based on our values and a vision focused on consistent quality and cost-efficiency. We see customer satisfaction, the personal and professional growth of each employee, safety in the workplace, a commitment to our stakeholders, employees, and communities, and profit as a measure of our performance.
The successful Maintenance Technician II will assist nursery personnel by performing preventative and routine maintenance tasks as assigned, troubleshoot issues, repair failures of production and facilities equipment and ensure maximum equipment efficiency and effectiveness. All tasks will be performed while supporting the policies, goals, and objectives of the company.
OUR EMPLOYEES ARE OUR #1 ASSET! Speedling offers a competitive salary, medical, dental, company-paid life insurance, disability insurance, 401(k) plan, paid vacation, and holidays. Speedling's Employee Enrichment Committee is committed to offering activities to help our employees pursue health and wellness.
If you are proactive, goal-driven, and looking to grow your career, become part of a team that Feeds the World and Makes it a More Beautiful Place, apply now!
Summary of Essential Job Functions:
- Service, test and repair of electrical, and light mechanical problems at the nursery
- Responsible for preventive maintenance on all equipment
- Install and troubleshoot electrical circuits, panels, conduit, protecting devices, switches, and equipment required for NEC compliance
- Be able to properly identify where to troubleshoot and safely use electrical meters and tools to diagnose malfunctions
- Able to set up and operate drill press, grinder, hand tools, and other equipment
- Install basic conduit and fixtures; electric motors and contactors, test completed work and make necessary adjustments
- Perform light carpentry work in the maintenance and repair of buildings, greenhouses and other structures for the nursery
- Maintain a professional courteous manner with all vendors, contractors, and fellow employees
- Assure safety standards are used which comply with all company guidelines
- Ensure compliance of all work-related activities in a fair, ethical, and consistent manner.
- At least 5 years experience or trade school training in electrical and mechanical repair
- Ability to read and interpret documents, schematics and drawings
- Ability to write detailed repair reports as well as good verbal communication
- Willing to work on a rotating weekend on-call list
- Able to climb ladders and work at elevations
- Clean criminal history and drug-free.
- Must be in good physical condition and able to work outdoors for extended periods of time.
- Ability to demonstrate high ethical standards and set a positive example for crew members.
- Current first aid/CPR certification, or ability and willingness to obtain one.
- Basic concepts about greenhouse operations, quality and productivity
- Good interpersonal communication, able to work well with others
- Manufacturing aptitude, must be able to work as part of a team
- Willingness to work nights and/or weekends, hours will change based on business needs
- Able to work indoors, outdoors, in warehouse or greenhouse all seasons
- Able to lift up to 50 lbs and able to stand for prolonged periods of time
- Ability to take initiative and work with minimum supervision, Self-motivated
- Ability to multi-task in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of changing situations.
- Ability to tolerate exposure to greenhouse elements such as heat, cold, water, and dirt.
- Bilingual English/Spanish helpful