Job ID: 2019-2122
Type: Regular Full-Time
# of Openings: 1
Category: Project Management Office
UFG can offer you an award-winning workplace and a trustworthy, financially-stable company. While we’ve always known our commitment to employees and financial stewardship, it is good to have others recognize our dedicated efforts. UFG was named to the “2015 Top Workplaces” list by The Des Moines Register, and was also included on the Forbes’ America’s Most Trustworthy Financial Companies” list for both 2014 and 2015. Additionally, UFG is a super-regional property and casualty insurer rated “A” (Excellent) by A.M. Best Company.
UFG is looking for an application developer to join our growing organization. This position will play a critical role in the review, design, development and modification of applications. This position requires a critical thinker with strong technical skills who can thrive in a fast paced environment.
• Develop new applications and update and maintain current applications.
• Consult with project managers, team members and users to identify current operating procedures and clarify project objectives.
• Design and write new or modify existing applications based on specifications developed by project manager or senior level programmer/analyst.
• Conduct testing by developing test data by following test plans to ensure programs meet standards and specification.
• Assist with project/system releases.
• Research errors to determine root cause and take appropriate steps to correct errors.
• Document program changes in source code.
• Properly document development progress with project tracking system.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Minimum of two years college in technical field and three years of relevant work experience or equivalent combination of education and experience
• Current participation in insurance, computer science or general business education
• Prior experience in application or web site development or other automation projects
• Three or more years of insurance preferred, but not necessary
• Employees are expected to actively participate in insurance classes, programming coursework or in-house training programs throughout their careers.
• Strong application and web programming skills.
• Excellent understanding of Object Oriented Programming
• Strong interpersonal skills; the ability to work well with people from many disciplines and with varying degrees of business and technical experience
• Ability to be self-directed and to take initiative in defining and completing project deliverables
• Excellent written and oral communication skills; ability to describe complex, highly-technical issues using simple, clear and precise language
• Excellent analytical skills; strong decision-making and problem-solving skills
• Adaptability and flexibility including ability to manage multiple priorities and work under deadlines