See all jobs in Norfolk VA
Job Location: Norfolk, VA
Job ID: 2019-2170
# of Openings: 2
Category: Skilled Trades
Phone Number: (619) 514-0060
Phone Extension: 132
SJS Executives is currently seeking a Sheet Metal Mechanic to join our team. Our ideal candidate will be able to work at journeyman level with the skill and knowledge to plan, layout, fabricate, assemble, repair and install sheet metal items having combined straight and curved edges or irregular curves and planes.
You will be working with a variety of sheet metals items such as: ducts, flashing, safety guards, sink tops, drain boards, shelves, containers, counter and table tops, and components and parts for air conditioning, heating, and ventilating systems and equipment, trailers and vans
- Makes templates and patterns to facilitate layout.
- Uses a variety of metals and alloys.
- Cuts, bends, shapes, and forms metal for items that have numerous irregular angles, planes, and curves with varying pitch and circumference.
- Uses a variety of assembly joints, hems and edges such as dovetailed seams, set-in-bottom seams, burred bottom scams, wired scams and locked seams.
- Drills or punches holes.
- Assembles or repairs items by seaming, soldering, bolting, screwing, riveting, tacking and spot welding.
- Uses a variety of hand, power, precision measuring and layout tools.
- Receives work assignments in the form of written or oral work orders and instructions
- Responsible for selecting the proper materials, tools and techniques to complete the work in a sale and efficient manner and in accordance with applicable standards.
- Responsible for informing the supervisor if any planned work deviates from normal trade practice.
- Maybe assigned a truck stocked with controlled inventory and consumable materials
- If assigned a stocked truck the incumbent is responsible for managing the material by following established procedures for inventory control and cost accounting.
- Maybe designated to receive work assignments from Regional Dispatch
- Moderate lifting up to 40 pounds
- Able to work at a rapid pace for a short period of time
- Knowledge of methods used to assemble metal systems, including complex assembly joints, hems, and edges.
- Knowledge in assembly methods must meet appearance and strength standards
- Knowledge of the characteristics of a variety of metals and alloys such as stainless steel, copper, magnesium, and aluminum.
- Skilled in using measuring and layout instruments such as protractors, dividers, calipers, scribing tools, rulers, and squares.
- Ability to use radial-line, parallel-line, triangulation and the shop mathematics necessary to accurately layout work.
- Ability to read and interpret blueprints, technical manuals and schematics.
- Knowledge in the use of a wide variety of complicated hand and power tools associated with the trade.
- Occasionally required performing work by stooping, bending and reaching while in cramped and uncomfortable positions and by walking, kneeling, crouching, and crawling
- Must be able to climb ladders and scaffolds to perform work at yarious heights. Normal vision is required.
- Some work is performed outside and may require exposure to prevailing weather conditions
- Working conditions in this position vary with a portion performed in relatively pleasant surroundings and a portion performed on rooftops, in equipment rooms, under buildings and in confined spaces.
- may be exposed to fumes, dust, dirt, grease and oil, and is subject to the possibility of scrapes, cuts, bruises, contusions, burns, electric shock and eye hazards.
- 4 or more years of experience
- Must able to pass background check/drug screen
- Valid State Driver's license
- Maybe required to serve on-call duty on a rotational basis.
- When on-call is required to carry a duty cell phone and duty pager and must remain available to respond on site to after-hour emergencies within two hours.
SJS Executives, LLC is EOE, AA, M/F/Vet/Disability compliant. US Citizenship required for most jobs.