Location: Austin, Texas, 78701, United States
Position Title: Austin Water Treatment Operations & Maintenance Technician Associate
Company Name: Austin Water
Sector: Skilled Labor
Under close supervision, perform routine tasks to provide operational and general maintenance support at a water or wastewater treatment plant, wastewater collection, or water distribution systems facility; and work in teams to assist with more complex tasks.
Perform in both operations and maintenance disciplines to develop competency in both disciplines.
Duties, Functions and Responsibilities:
Essential duties and functions, pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following. Other related duties may be assigned.
- Assists with process control tasks such as basic flow control, sampling, basic laboratory testing, normal operations of pumps and blowers, and adjusting chemical feeds.
- Assists with preventative maintenance tasks such as lubrication; changing equipment oil/fluids; and installing packing, bearings, and seals.
- Assists with predictive and corrective maintenance on specialized equipment such as pumps, blowers, clarifiers, and valves.
- Assists with routine rounds of the facilities to monitor treatment process and identify process anomalies or mechanical problems with plant equipment.
- Monitors data from SCADA systems and computerized control systems, instrument panels, and gauges in order to make basic process changes as directed.
- Maintains plant operations and maintenance records using log books, databases, and spreadsheets.
- Acts as member of Confined Space Entry Team and may serve as entrant or assistant.
Responsibilities - Supervisor and/or Leadership Exercised:
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
Must possess required knowledge, skills, abilities, and experience and be able to explain and demonstrate, with or without reasonable accommodations, that the essential functions of the job can be performed.
Knowledge of general maintenance processes and procedures.
Knowledge of basic math including addition, subtraction, multiplication and division of whole numbers, decimalized numbers, fractions, and percents.
- Skill in using computers and related software.
- Skill in using hand tools and power tools.
- Skill in operating a motor vehicle and motorized equipment.
- Ability to work in environments that may have hazardous atmospheres.
- Ability to climb ladders and work at heights of up to 200 feet, and to work in confined spaces up to 100 feet deep. Ability to work in permit and non-permit confined spaces where there is limited or restricted means for entry and exit, or where the work activities may be hindered.
- Ability to safely wear anti-fall (SRL) body harness for confined space entry that supports up to 283 pounds.
- Ability to walk, stand, sit, bend, stoop, twist, push, pull, climb, kneel, crawl, and lift/carry up to fifty (50) pounds unassisted.
- Ability to follow written and verbal instructions.
- Ability to read and follow technical guidelines and standard operating procedures.
- Ability to take simple readings from meters, gauges, control panels, and testing and monitoring equipment. Ability to meet and maintain driver eligibility standards detailed in the City of Austin Driver Safety Program.
Graduation from an accredited high school or equivalent, plus one (1) year of experience in a similar work environment such as process control, plant operations, construction, or in the operation, repair and maintenance of mechanical or industrial equipment.
Thirty (30) semester hours of relevant formal education from an accredited institute may substitute for one (1) year of work experience.
www.austintexas.gov/hr/jobdesc/jobrptdesc.cfm?codeid=1202 1/2 10/17/2019 www.austintexas.gov/hr/jobdesc/jobrptdesc.cfm?codeid=1202
Licenses and Certifications Required:
Must obtain appropriate TCEQ License as specified by position within one (1) year of employment:
Water Treatment Plant or Water Distribution Systems Facility: TCEQ Class D Water Operator License.
Wastewater Treatment Plant or Wastewater Collection System Facility: TCEQ Class D Wastewater Treatment Plant Operator License or Class I Collection System License.
Must obtain the appropriate TCEQ Class C Water/Wastewater, Water Distribution or Class II Wastewater Collection System License before Class D License expires.
May require a Valid Texas Commercial Driver's License with endorsements.
Valid current Texas Class "C" Driver License.
Must be able to become certified for Respiratory Protection and Confined-Space Entry Program within six (6) months of employment and maintain certification.
This description is intended to indicate the kinds of tasks and levels of work difficulty required of the position given this title and shall not be construed as declaring what the specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position shall be. It is not intended to limit or in any way modify the right of management to assign, direct and control the work of employees under supervision. The listing of duties and responsibilities shall not be held to exclude other duties not mentioned that are of similar kind or level of difficulty.