Premier Veterinary Group, Chicago is looking for an experienced Senior Veterinary Technician (CVT) to join our team full time. This position will be assisting in our surgery department.
Our 24-hour emergency and specialty hospital provides care in internal medicine, oncology, surgery, neurology, and anesthesiology.
About the Job: As a Vet Tech in the Surgery department you will be responsible for
- Start SOAPs for all surgery appointments on the days schedule.
- Prep animals for surgical procedures; clipping, cleaning, and sterilizing surgical site, placing catheters, run blood work, help restrain any surgical patients.
- Calculate and administer pre-medications, anesthesia induction, and intubation.
- Setup OR; IV fluids, monitor, surgery table, cautery, suction, anesthetic machines, ventilator when needed. Prepare surgical setup; follow principles of sterility, ensure that proper gowns, towels, drapes, instruments, etc., are in place.
- Ensure that surgery changes, surgical reports, and surgical discharges are entered into Cornerstone.
- Monitor animals under anesthesia throughout the procedure and log vitals every 5 minutes on anesthetic sheets.
- Assist in turning/cleaning in OR in preparation for next surgery.
- Fill out treatment sheets completely with any orders that the surgeon has requested for the patients. Fill any prescriptions for all post operative animals.
- Clean, pack, and sterilize any instruments from surgery.
- Perform treatments on hospitalized surgery patients and/or ensure treatments are being completed
- Discharge any surgery patients going home including call backs for surgery patients from previous days.
- Check charges on all surgery inpatients at the end of the day
- Create surgical estimates for other services when needed.
- Graduate of accredited AVMA program or equivalent experience Minimum 2 years experience in veterinary anesthesia.
- Accuracy in calculating and delivering anesthetic agents, fluids, and CRIs
- Proficiency in record keeping related to medical procedures including daily treatments administered, patient status, procedures completed, supplies used, and anesthetic records
- Understanding and review of medical records pertinent to patient care
- Comprehensive understand and experience with anesthetic monitoring is required
- CVT, LVT, or VTS preferred
- Ability to work in a highly collaborative environment and commitment to develop long-term relationships with colleagues, clients, and community is required.
- Maintain a positive outlook and ability to work well in a collaborative environment.
- Excellent communication and organizational skills are required, and the ability to deliver exceptional client service is expected
Benefits of Working at Premier Veterinary Group:
- Compensation is based on experience and skill level.
- Full-time benefits include health with an optional 100% employer paid plan, dental, vision, disability and life insurances, flex-spending accounts, 401(k), Employee Assistance Program, paid time off, uniforms and a generous pet benefit plan.
- Working in a team environment where every department works out of a large open treatment area facilitating team work and comradery between departments.