See all jobs in Seattle WA
Job Location: Seattle, WA
Location: Seattle, Washington, 98101, United States
Position Title: Associate Attorney: Environmental / Energy Litigation
Company Name: Marten Law
Marten Law PLLC seeks an associate attorney with environmental/energy litigation experience to work in its Seattle office. The successful candidate must have at least three years of experience in environmental and energy law litigation, in court and/or administrative proceedings under some or all the major federal environmental and energy statutes. This position requires substantive familiarity with environmental and energy laws. A description of the firm's practice can be found on its website, www.martenlaw.com.
Environmental and Litigation Experience: This position requires three or more years of substantive experience in:
- One or more of the following areas of environmental law: the Clean Water Act (CWA)(enforcement, permitting, and/or 401 certifications); water rights; National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA); Endangered Species Act (ESA); Clean Air Act (CAA); Resource Conservation and Recovery Act (RCRA); Toxic Substances Control Act (TSCA); Comprehensive Environmental Response Compensation and Liability Act (CERCLA); and Federal Insecticide, Fungicide, and Rodenticide Act (FIFRA).
- Representing public and private sector clients in trial or administrative hearings.
- Participation in briefing and motion practice, with or without supervision by other attorneys.
- Drafting and responding to discovery requests with limited supervision.
- Document review and production.
- Taking or defending fact and expert witness depositions.
- Writing. This attorney must produce superior written product. Experience as the primary author of contracts, regulatory agreements, and documents related to real estate and land use transactions is preferred.
- Research. This attorney must be efficient, creative, and effective in performing legal research. Experience researching administrative law and regulatory requirements at the federal and state level is preferred.
Other Essential Job Duties
Marten Law attorneys must be able to travel out of state in order to accomplish legal work.
Our billable hour expectation is 1850 billable hours a year. This will require more than 40 hours per week to perform the essential duties of this position. The expectation is that this person will devote, on average, 37+ hours a week on billable job functions and another 7+ hours a week on non-billable activities (firm administration, marketing, professional development, newsletter articles, and supervising others).
Minimum Education Requirements
- Candidates in the top 10% of their law school class
- Law review experience preferred
- Clerkship experience preferred
About Marten Law
Leaders in Environmental and Energy Law
Marten Law has built a national reputation as a leader in environmental and energy law. Our team of lawyers includes recognized authorities in alternative energy, climate change, air quality, hazardous and solid waste, water resources and water quality, fisheries, environmental review and permitting, and a host of other issues that our business and public clients confront every day. Unlike general practice firms, we focus on one practice area, so that we can be the best at it in the country.
To ensure that we stay at the forefront of our field, every lawyer in the firm writes for our nationally recognized biweekly newsletter called Marten Law News, which reaches over 45,000 subscribers in all 50 states and more than 20 countries. Our attorneys have authored over 300 articles for LexisNexis, West, the ABA, and numerous other publishers.
Our clients recognize that the best expertise may not be in the biggest firm, but in the firm with the greatest experience and skill in the area in which they need help. For that reason, we have the privilege of representing some of the largest companies in America, and some of the most innovative smaller and emerging companies. We have been chosen to represent numerous public sector clients, particularly in regulatory and development matters, where our experience can bring a project to completion.
We strive to deliver successful outcomes, not billable hours. We know our clients' businesses and work as partners to meet their objectives, overcome their legal obstacles, and maximize their opportunities.
We attract and retain lawyers by offering them the opportunity to work on some of the most challenging projects and cases in our field. We expect our lawyers to be at the leading edge of environmental and energy law. A team-oriented work environment enables us to deliver the best advice and product to our clients at the lowest possible cost.
Required Application Materials
- Cover letter
- A minimum of one substantive piece of original written work product (max five pages)
- Three or more professional references
- Law school transcript
To apply, please send your application materials to William Ashby, Chief Operating Officer, at THIS EMAIL .
Associate Attorney: Environmental / Energy Litigation Associate Attorney: Environmental / Energy Litigation Associate Attorney: Environmental / Energy Litigation Associate Attorney: Environmental / Energy Litigation Associate Attorney: Environmental / Energy Litigation Associate Attorney: Environmental / Energy Litigation