PLANNING COORDINATOR - 1220 Salary
$38,480.00 - $56,763.20 Annually
206 S. Main Street - Greenville, SC
PLANNING & DEVELOPMENT SERVICES
PLANNING & ZONING
1/29/2021 11:59 PM Eastern
- Job Description
Brief Description of the Job
Under regular direction, provides general assistance in the administration of the land management and related ordinances. Exercises limited discretion in the interpretation and application of standard policies, procedures and rules. Provides technical assistance to applicants regarding ordinance regulations. Works closely with the Permit, Legal, Revenue, and City Clerk Divisions to ensure compliance with City standards. Coordinates and manages the Planning Division permit tracking, Boards and Planning Commission support, subdivision requests, recombination requests, annexation requests, and zoning inquires to support the Planning & Zoning Division. Coordinates with other departments on planning projects and building permits. Manages and updates division website to include monthly Boards/Commission public notices, agendas and day to day file management. Performs ongoing reviews of division process and activities and makes recommendations for improvement. Responds to inquiries from the public regarding the Planning & Zoning Division and other City of Greenville inquiries. Implements new policies, rules and regulations. Organizes and schedules induction and training sessions for new employees. Provides administrative support to division staff. Implements and monitors fiscal/monthly operating budget. Manages division receivables and accounts payable to include applicant fees and refunds. Processes payroll timesheets and monitors division calendar. Organizes office functions in-house and external. Performs additional duties including greeting public walk-ins, setting up staff appointment/meetings, and monitoring and maintaining office equipment and supplies as needed.
- Job Duties
Provide Technical Assistance to City Staff and Public on Land Development Regulations (40%): Conduct application acceptance reviews for all projects and permits. Determine project compliance with ordinance requirements and division policy. Assist clients regarding inquiries about the Municipal Code and Land Management Ordinance requirements. Assist clients with the process for subdivisions, recombination requests, annexations and zoning amendments. Review summary plat submissions. Determine compliance of recorded summary plats and recorded permits (special exception permits, conditional use permits, parking agreements). Offer preliminary direction to clients for potential development projects. Support Planners and division administration as needed for plan reviews. Collaborate with City staff to enhance division processes and deadlines. Maintain City Clerk required compliance standards.
Ensure Public Notice and Board/Commission Meetings Legal Compliance (30%): Monitor department deadline schedules and notify co-workers/managers of required actions to ensure timely completion of reviews, public notices, and Boards and Commission legal package submittals. Process online applications, review for application acceptance sufficiency and reconcile payments. Oversee and implement division record organization, retention and archive requirements.
Monitor Financial Transactions (10%): Assist in preparation of fiscal budget to include quote requests and budget review. Monitor monthly operating budget. Process reimbursements for personal/professional expenses, travel and training, supplies, etc. Prepare required forms for contracts. Prepare requisitions, process purchase orders and field purchase orders as needed. Ensure approval of field purchase orders, process change orders, track payment requests, and other materials pertaining to contracts or any financial matter as assigned. Keep manager up to date with requisition approvals, processed refunds, payments and reconciled payments. Maintain record of reconciled payments.
Research, Process & Monitor City Council Ordinances Functions (10%): Identify proposed agenda items for City Council. Provide Legal Division detailed project packets for all proposed agenda items. Process and ensure Greenville County notification of ratified ordinances. Update City records with ordinance amendments.
Manage Administrative Functions (10%): Transcribe Boards and Commission meeting minutes and prepare agenda packets for records retention. Develop, update and manage division reporting. Maintain office supplies, gather timesheet information and submit time summary report to payroll, prepare correspondence, memos, agendas for meetings, reports, and agreements. Locate and prepare quotes. Handle monthly mass mailings. Manage assigned staff calendars and facilitate meetings. Assist Boards and Commission liaisons with monthly process and reporting. Monitor staff work for accuracy, quality, and thoroughness to include monthly reconciliations to tracking system reporting.
Perform other duties as assigned.
Formal Education: Associate degree in Business Management or a related field required. Bachelors degree in Planning, Business Management, or related field preferred.
Experience: Over 2 years of experience in the Planning and Development Industry or a related field. Additional experience in Microsoft Office Programs, ArcMaps, GIS, analytic and reporting software, and permit software is preferred.
Drivers License Required: Class D South Carolina license.
Certifications and Other Requirements: Must have/obtain SC Notary Public within 12 months of hire.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- City land management and related ordinances.
- Standard office practices and equipment.
- Office management systems and procedures.
- Computer research techniques, methods, and procedures.
- Develop and maintain cooperative and professional relationships with employees and all levels of management to include representatives from other departments, external organizations, and the general public.
- Appropriately handle confidential information.
- Use effective judgment in discussing and resolving customer related issues consistent with City and department policies and procedures.
- Communicate basic to complex ideas verbally and in writing in a clear, concise and professional manner; prepare written reports, summarize meeting minutes, and compose emails, business letters, and various correspondence.
- Maintain excellent organization and attention to detail; develop and maintain filing systems; and maintain complex records using a variety of source materials.
- Understand and follow complex oral and written instructions.
- Work with frequent interruptions and changes in priorities.
- Type, take, and transcribe dictation.
- Review, proofread, and/or edit assigned work products to ensure correct grammar and consistency of format.
- Make basic mathematical calculations, track and reconcile expenditures, as well as, ensure accuracy of invoices and other related documents.
- Utilize specialized software and systems in performance of job duties which may include work management system, mapping system, permit tracking and reporting systems, and purchasing and financial systems.
- Operate general office equipment to include scanner, printer, copier, telephone, plotter, projector, and computer with Microsoft Office Suite.
Primary Work Location: Office environment.
Environmental/Health and Safety Factors: Relatively free from unpleasant environmental conditions or hazards.
Physical Demands: Continuously requires standing, fine dexterity, walking, carrying, reaching, handling, pushing/pulling, vision, hearing, and talking. Frequently requires lifting, sitting, balancing, bending, and crouching. Occasionally requires kneeling, climbing, and twisting. Medium strength demands include exerting 20-50 pounds occasionally, 10-25 pounds frequently, or up to 10 pounds constantly.
Mental Demands: Requires frequent change of tasks, irregular schedule/overtime, performing multiple tasks simultaneously, working closely with others as part of a team, and tedious or exacting work. Occasionally requires time pressures and noisy/distracting environment.
How To Apply:
Please fill out our Online Application by clicking the Apply button below:
Our office hours are 8:00 am-5:00 pm Monday - Friday.
The City of Greenville will provide reasonable accommodations for otherwise qualified individuals. The City of Greenville does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, religion, disability status or age in employment or provision of services.