LANDSCAPE ARCHITECT - 0820 Salary
$46,200.00 - $69,300.00 Annually
206 S. Main Street - Greenville, SC
PLANNING & DEVELOPMENT SERVICES
PLANNING & ZONING
12/11/2020 11:59 PM Eastern
- Job Description
Brief Description of the Job
Under the direction of the Senior Landscape Architect, conducts comprehensive landscape architecture plan reviews. Assists in completing various project details including design review, construction review, graphics, and cost estimates. Researches best practices as needed. Conducts public presentations and assists with administrative issues pertaining to project coordination.
- Job Duties
Conduct Plan Reviews (45%): Conduct comprehensive landscape architecture plan reviews by checking plans, specifications, blueprints, and drawings for completeness and compliance with landscape and tree ordinance. Work with the Permit and Licensing Unit on customer questions concerning permits or plan reviews. Consult with and assist architects, engineers, builders, and owners regarding methods of design and construction and other matters relating to the plan review process, related codes and City ordinances. Draft detailed plan review comments and discrepancies into the data management system for each project reviewed.
Manage Landscape Architecture Projects (45%): Provide project management services for small to medium scale landscape projects within the Parks System or streetscape. Prepare project scope, design, and budget. Generate plans and construction documents for grading, drainage, hardscape, landscape, furnishing, and structural features. Prepare presentation graphics, signage, and publications. Manage small project requests for proposals and requests for qualifications, scope, budget, contracts, and invoicing during the design and construction process. Assist in grant funding applications, awards, documentation, reimbursements, and requirements. Assist the Senior Landscape Architect in making substantial progress on ongoing city-wide master planning, design, and construction projects including parks, trails, streetscapes, plazas, signage, sculpture, furnishings, playgrounds, zoo exhibits, etc.
Assist in Strategic Planning (10%): Provide data gathering, inventory, and analysis as directed on large-scale system-wide initiatives. Work with department staff and other departments to provide technical and policy input. Regularly attends development committee and construction committee meetings to communicate and promote the departments mission, goals, and initiatives.
Perform other duties as assigned.
Formal Education: Bachelors degree or equivalent experience in Landscape Architecture, Architecture, Civil Engineering, Construction Management, or other building related field.
Experience: Over two years of experience in Architecture, Landscape Architecture, Civil Engineering, or Construction Management. Any equivalent combination of education, training, and experience which provides the requisite knowledge, skills, and abilities for this job may be substituted.
Drivers License Required: Class D South Carolina license.
Certifications and Other Requirements: SC Landscape Architect license preferred. Must have or obtain SC Landscape Architect license within one year of employment.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Landscape architectural design, construction, and engineering principles and practices.
- Use and adaptability requirements of both native and cultivated plants, shrubs, and trees in different landscaping situations.
- Methods, materials and techniques in the construction, maintenance and repair of landscaped areas.
- Landscape architecture and urban design principles, practices, current trends, regulations, standards and laws applicable to the area of specialization.
Machines, Tools, Equipment, and Work Aids: Flashlight, calculators, architectural and engineering scales, shoe covers, vehicle, safety equipment, copier, telephone, printers, and fax. Computer permitting application software, Microsoft Office Suite, Autocad, Photoshop, and Illustrator.
- Conduct public meetings and workshops for a variety of audiences.
- Read, analyze, and interpret design development document, construction document, architectural and planning documents, general business periodicals, professional journals, technical journals and procedures, financial reports, legal documents, and governmental regulations as well as literature, books, reviews, reports, and abstracts. Perform plan checking, environmental review, policy analysis and project review activities.
- Apply fundamental concepts of theories; work with advanced mathematical operations methods and functions of real and complex variables.
- Write reports, prepare business letters, summaries, meeting minutes, and emails using proper format, punctuation, spelling, and grammar, using all parts of speech.
- Read, write, and interpret landscape ordinance and code.
Primary Work Location: Office environment.
Environmental/Health and Safety Factors: Occasional exposure to unpleasant environmental conditions and/or hazards. Occasional outside work. Monthly exposure to respiratory hazards, noise and vibration, and physical hazards. Seasonal exposure to extreme temperature and wetness and/or humidity.
Protective Equipment Required: Hardhat, steel-toed shoes/boots, and safety glasses.
Continuously requires vision and hearing. Frequently requires fine dexterity, walking, kneeling, foot controls, bending, crouching, twisting, and talking. Occasionally requires standing, lifting, carrying, sitting, and handling. Light strength demands include exerting up to 20 pounds occasionally, 10 pounds frequently, or negligible amounts constantly and/or walking or standing to a significant degree.
Frequently requires time pressures, performing multiple tasks simultaneously, and working closely with others as part of a team. Occasionally requires frequent change of tasks and tedious or exacting work.
How To Apply:
Please fill out our Online Application by clicking the Apply button below:
Our office hours are 8:00 am-5:00 pm Monday - Friday.
The City of Greenville will provide reasonable accommodations for otherwise qualified individuals. The City of Greenville does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, religion, disability status or age in employment or provision of services.