SALARY RANGE: $69,800 - $90,740
Base salary is determined by the knowledge, skills and abilities of the applicant.
CLOSING DATE: This position will close on December 14, 2017.
LOCATION: Kearney, NE
Coordinate, implement and direct overall safety support services for our Nebraska Natural Gas Utility, Responsibilities include procedure/program development, training, hazard identification inspections, program auditing, accident prevention and regulatory compliance. Provide the technical resources to successfully implement, maintain, and improve a comprehensive best in class safety and health program.
REPORTING RELATIONSHIP: Safety Manager
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Establish and maintain a safety presence by attending safety meetings, O&M meetings, conducting new hire safety orientations, mandated safety training and performing walk around inspections of all complex areas.
- Assist in compliance with government and industry safety standards by monitoring safety regulations and advising management of regulation changes and working with others to integrate into business and operational policies and procedures.
- Develop, enhance and provide training programs to ensure both optimal operational safety readiness as well as compliance with all applicable safety regulations.
- Provide guidance and technical advice to managers, supervisors and field personnel tailored to safety needs, initiatives, programs and regulations.
- Develop and maintain state safety policies and procedures in a manner that supports the business unit needs, while enhancing and driving a zero accident goal.
- Support recordkeeping/tracking system to track training, compliance needs, time sensitive requirements, accidents, maintenance of OSHA logs and regulatory reporting/accident posting in a manner that ensures regulatory compliance and supports the needs of the business units.
- Support site safety contracts as necessary to ensure effective procurement and maintenance of all safety equipment, systems and services for the business unit.
- Assist in developing and maintaining statistical accident/incident rate and severity information for the business units as well as at the corporate level.
- Coordinate the hearing conservation and respiratory protection programs.
- Lead, assist and coordinate presentations of appropriate safety procedures and training programs to field and office personnel.
- Lead and provide assistance to managers and local safety committees in accident/incident investigations, scene control, evidence gathering/preservation, and written reports.
- Lead, facilitate and participate with management and non-management teams in safety related projects.
- Assist site management in the development, implementation and completion of annual safety improvement plans.
- Develop and implement employee safety motivation/training systems and programs.
- Serve as key member of business unit leadership team.
- Optimize operational alignment between BHC and business unit safety policies, practices and procedures.
- Consult with regulatory and government officials and organizations to maintain positive safety visibility.
- Partner with HR and other departments to ensure quick and accurate response to safety and training issues.
- Assist in the development of budgets and initiatives.
- Assist in the development of safety flashes, bulletins, and similar awareness/notification items locally and in support of the corporate safety communications plan.
- Raise/maintain front-line employee awareness and involvement in local safety issues via close interaction with local safety committees and safety chairs.
- Provide tools for managing the safety effort, indicators of program success and industry benchmark comparisons. Provide monthly summaries and annual reports.
- Serve as a role model for the adoption and utilization of data-driven decision support tools & techniques within the organization.
- Carry out all duties with an uncompromising sense of integrity to exacting standards of professionalism.
- Obtain required OSHA or safety certifications.
- Coordinate audiometric and respiratory fit testing.
- Monitor and encourage management to address employee safety issues. Advise and recommend options to accomplish corrective actions.
- Be visible in the field and ensure visibility across all assigned areas of responsibility. Maintain open, effective communication channels with all employees in a manner that promotes employee confidence and accessibility and provides for a positive, professional relationship.
- Teach, advise and counsel supervisors, superintendents and managers on safety requirements and appropriate protective measures to prevent accidents in current work activities.
- Comply with all corporate administrative and other requirements.
- Establish regular schedule for communicating with managers for general discussion of any issues they may have or areas they may need support in. Keep management and supervisors informed of project status and key events.
- Assist Safety Director and Safety Manager with the continuous improvement of the corporate-wide safety program while supporting business unit leaders of assigned areas of responsibility.
- Utilize a strong customer service mindset to effectively manage internal/external stakeholders in an individual contributor environment.
- Support facility management to ensure compliance with all applicable safety and health requirements. This may include interrupting or suspending work activities that are not in compliance or where imminent danger is perceived until corrective action is complete.
- Provide assistance to BHC business units as needed (i.e. audits, investigations, etc.).
- Develop and maintain effective working relationships with key stakeholders (internal, external, regulatory, financial, legal, compliance, operations, HR, etc.)
- Maintain effective working relationships with all Company employees.
- Treat all individuals with basic human dignity and respect.
- Minimum of 5 years of experience implementing safety policies, developing procedures and training programs, and leading safety audits/inspections and incident investigations is required.
- This role will primarily support the natural gas utility businesses and therefore requires a minimum of 2 years of experience in the natural gas industry.
- Bachelor’s degree strongly preferred, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Extensive knowledge of OSHA 1910 & 1926 standards and their application to a broad variety of operations and environments.
- Knowledge of workers compensation/disability programs and associated procedures is preferred.
- Ability to develop, implement and deliver safety training topics.
- Ability to interpret government regulations, develop and implement compliance directives.
- Ability to develop and work in a team environment.
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to communicate appropriate safety messages effectively at all levels within the corporation.
- Proficiency in MS Office (Word, Excel, Power Point. MS-Access proficiency desirable as well).
- Detail-oriented with strong organizational skills.
- Ability to make decisions and prioritize in a multi-task environment with limited supervision.
- OSHA 501 or 500 Train the Trainer desired.
- CPR/AED/First Aid Certified desired.
- Professional Safety certification such as Associate Safety Professional (ASP) or Certified Safety Professional (CSP) desired.
- Frequent travel required – up to 75%.
- Must be willing/able to provide safety support/services at varying schedules, often on short or emergency notice, to 24/7/365 operations.
- Must be willing and able to operate company vehicles in the performance of duties.
Applicant must be able to perform the essential job functions of the position with or without accommodation.
- Must be able to perform the physical requirements of the position such as standing, walking, sitting, repetitive motions, lifting, carrying, pushing, pulling, climbing, balancing, stooping, kneeling, squatting, crouching, crawling, reaching, handling, feeling, talking, hearing, tasting/smelling, near and far acuity, depth perception, color vision and field of vision.
- Must be able to work outside in extreme weather on occasion.
The information contained in this position description describes the general nature and level of work being performed in this job. This description is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of responsibilities, duties, and requirements for employees in this position. The incumbent is responsible for performing all duties in a safe and efficient manner in compliance with safe work procedures and safety regulations. This job description is not intended to constitute an offer or contract of employment. Job descriptions may and do change periodically. Where positions are covered by a collective bargaining unit agreement, the terms and conditions of the collective bargaining unit agreement will apply.
We are an EEO Employer
How To Apply:
Please apply on-line below:
Black Hills Corporation
We are committed to our mission to Improve Life with Energy in the work we do, in our community involvement and in the careers of our team members. No matter the role you play you will find a connection in your work at BHC to something bigger...challenges that stretch your skills, serving customers and the larger community, and being a part of the industry that makes everything else possible.