SALARY GRADE: $19 - $26 per hour
Base pay is determined by the knowledge, skills and abilities of the applicant.
CLOSING DATE: This position will close on August 21, 2017.
LOCATION: Rapid City, SD
The User Support Technician provides quality technical application and hardware, as well as phone and desktop support via phone, email and a variety of remote tools across the organization with a high degree of customer service, technical expertise and timeliness to employees at Black Hills Corporation. Performs testing, trouble shooting, and issue resolution in a wide variety of applications, hardware, and network systems through effective use of technical knowledge and internal and external resources. This position is responsible for installation, transfer, adds and change (IMAC) activities, as well as, PC image backup and restoration. As the principal interface with IT customers, User Support Technicians must retain a breadth of knowledge across local and regional infrastructure and key contacts in all IT disciplines, i.e. network team, server admin, etc., to ensure proper communication and problem resolution.
REPORTING RELATIONSHIP: Manager, Technical Client Services
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Prioritize and manage daily schedule related to resolving and documenting customer support issues. Respond to incoming requests in a timely manner, track 100% of all customer contacts, research questions and issues and resolve each interaction into Service Desk with customer satisfaction.
- Diagnose and resolve PC-related problems.
- Perform and maintain PC services including hardware and software upgrades.
- Utilize sound diagnostic techniques to troubleshoot or research technical problems reported by users.
- Follow verbal and written procedures for escalating support requests to other staff members.
- Perform back-up procedures for assigned files; coordinate restoration and retrieval of files as needed; maintain all files in an accurate and efficient manner.
- Inventory control and tracking of hardware including PC’s, thin clients, terminals and equipment; requisition supplies as required; replace equipment for users as approved.
- Evaluate, test and implement new PC’s, operating systems and application software solutions.
- Maintain PC/LAN/WAN records of company hardware and software.
- Accurately record all information regarding end user incidents or requests into the BHC Service Desk.
- Other responsibilities as assigned.
- Keep abreast of technical changes in PC/LAN hardware and software by reviewing and studying vendor technical documentation, educational materials, and industry publications to enhance technical skills. Make recommendations for implementation of those that can be effectively applied.
- Support BHC Information Technology and BHC goals and objectives.
- Travel to business units for technical support as necessary.
- Continuously develop competency with company systems and applications.
- Ensure that a work order is created for every support request that you resolve or escalate.
- Partner with the business in order to provide the highest levels of support.
- Comply with policies, procedures and controls related to Sarbanes-Oxley or other regulatory frameworks.
- On-call support required on a rotation basis.
- Identifies trends and informs team members and/or makes recommendations as appropriate (e.g., system errors, user problems, etc.)
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Will support multiple business unit groups including interaction with all levels of employees across all levels of the organization.
- Will work closely with other supporting departments within the IT Department in the planning and execution of supporting activities to the business.
- Outside vendors
- Minimum 2 years of technical experience preferred.
- A combination of experience and training that would provide the required knowledge includes:
- Personal computer hardware repair and/or troubleshooting.
- Windows-based workstations and related peripherals.
- Microsoft Windows, Mac, IOS operating systems and TCP/IP environments.
- Avaya/Cisco phone systems.
- Working knowledge of application software such as Microsoft Office, Microsoft Project, Acrobat, and Visio. (Helpdesk)
- Wireless devices such as aircards, cell phones, BlackBerries, etc.
- Associate degree or equivalent experience in related field required.
- Must be proficient in working with Windows and some Mac experience.
- Demonstrated knowledge of networking technologies for implementation, maintenance, and problem resolution.
- Administration of Windows-related operating systems, architecture and troubleshooting techniques desired.
- Basic knowledge of Microsoft Office, Citrix and Active Directory desired.
- Knowledge of basic troubleshooting techniques for Blackberry/Air card, Canon/HP Printers, etc.
- Ability to work with a variety of stakeholders including consultants, users, technical personnel and business users to resolve problems in a timely and effective manner.
- Strong attention to detail skills resulting in a high degree of accuracy and minimal rework in tasks performed.
- Ability to manage several tasks simultaneously & sound business sense in prioritizing activities.
- An aptitude for customer service skills such as taking ownership, sense of urgency, promoting a positive work environment, and dependability especially when providing support.
- Experience using a Service Desk software preferred.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, changing environment.
- Ability to develop and maintain positive and effective working relationships with a wide range of employees, managers, vendors and professional organizations.
- Ability and willingness to work extended hours or a modified schedule to support planned activities or emergency situations.
- Outstanding customer service and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work both independently as well as part of a team environment.
- Ability to communicate clearly with technical and non-technical audiences, both verbally and written.
- Ability to maintain composure under pressure.
- Ability to keep information confidential.
- Ability to obtain Microsoft Certified IT Professional and A+ Certifications or equivalent Helpdesk or Deskside Support certifications within twelve months.
You must be able to perform the requirements of this position, with or without a reasonable accommodation.
- May require work in excess of 40 hours a week in order to complete functions of position.
- Participate in an on-call rotation schedule, answering calls within an expected timeframe.
- Travel as necessary to attend product training or support systems.
- Must be able to sit for prolonged periods of time in front of a computer.
- Must be able to perform physical activities, such as, but not limited to, lifting heavy equipment (up to 50 lbs. unassisted), bending, standing, climbing or walking.
The information contained in this position description describes the general nature and level of work being performed in this job. This description is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of responsibilities, duties, and requirements for employees in this position. The incumbent is responsible for performing all duties in a safe and efficient manner in compliance with safe work procedures and safety regulations. This job description is not intended to constitute an offer or contract of employment. Job descriptions may and do change periodically. Where positions are covered by a collective bargaining unit agreement, the terms and conditions of the collective bargaining unit agreement will apply.
We are an EEO Employer
How To Apply:
Please apply on-line below:
Black Hills Corporation
We are committed to our mission to Improve Life with Energy in the work we do, in our community involvement and in the careers of our team members. No matter the role you play you will find a connection in your work at BHC to something bigger...challenges that stretch your skills, serving customers and the larger community, and being a part of the industry that makes everything else possible.