SALARY RANGE: $58,650 - $76,200
Base salary is determined by the knowledge, skills and abilities of the applicant.
CLOSING DATE: This position will close on May 30, 2017.
LOCATION: Rapid City, SD
Responsible for the timely and accurate recording, analysis, and reporting of financial information. Develop and implement strategies for process improvements to increase overall efficiency of corporate accounting and reporting. Establish and maintain effective internal controls. Perform regular and special projects for the operation, management and support of applicable companies including the classification and recording of accounting transactions in accordance with GAAP (Generally Accepted Accounting Principles) and FERC (Federal Energy Regulated Commission). Review and/or prepare balance sheet reconciliations, perform accounting research and in-depth accounting analysis. Prepare and present information to a variety of internal and external stakeholders. Manage competing priorities and deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
REPORTING RELATIONSHIP: Sr. Manager – Corporate Accounting (Corporate Accounting Manager)
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Lead a team of corporate accounting staff for various projects as assigned which includes, but is not limited to; delegating, monitoring, coaching and reviewing work. Take ownership of team and ensure timely, accurate and complete accounting and analysis for all work assigned.
- Identify and implement process improvements to increase efficiency and effectiveness.
- Assist in the development, maintenance and enforcement of accounting policies and procedures for the corporate accounting team. Ensure systems and procedures are in compliance with company policies, acceptable accounting practices, and applicable regulations.
- Perform accounting research as necessary and assist in writing technical accounting memos.
- Ensure controls are in place, documented and operating effectively to support strong internal controls over financial reporting in compliance with Sarbanes-Oxley requirements.
- Prepare and analyze reports for a variety of departments. Ensure information is accurate and presented in a useful and understandable format before timely distribution.
- Review reconciliations of general ledger accounts. Follow up on discrepancies and implement procedures to ensure adequate resolution.
- Review and/or prepare financial statement analysis. Interpret and present results to internal and external stakeholders as needed.
- Obtain a strong understanding of overhead calculations including, but not limited to, responsibility to prepare, review, document and analyze all overhead calculations.
- Assist internal and external auditors as needed.
- Obtain a strong understanding of the general ledger accounting system, systems that interface with the general ledger as well as the financial reporting tools.
- Obtain a strong understanding of regulatory accounting.
- Perform assigned duties in a professional manner to facilitate the objectives and goals of the company and to enhance the image of the Accounting Department.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with co-workers, all finance and accounting departments, financial managers, regulatory, and internal and external audit.
- Five (5) plus years of accounting/financial experience required.
- Public accounting experience preferred.
- Audit experience preferred.
- Supervisory experience preferred.
- Experience in utility or energy related industry a plus.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting/finance related discipline required.
- Thorough knowledge of GAAP and FERC, including business and accounting methods and procedures.
- Solid understanding of, and experience in accounting.
- Solid understanding of internal controls.
- Advanced proficiency in Excel to create and support complex spreadsheets and financial models.
- Proficiency in automated accounting systems.
- Working understanding of utility operations and a basic understanding of regulatory/ratemaking processes and methods preferred.
- An understanding of or willingness to learn and utilize Essbase.
- Strong organizational skills with the ability to manage competing deadlines and priorities effectively within a fast-paced environment.
- Strong leadership and supervisory skills with the ability to delegate and coach individuals.
- Strong sense of professional accountability.
- Ability to apply strong attention to detail while understanding and considering the overall vision.
- Ability to make decisions with minimal supervision.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with the ability to communicate difficult accounting topics to various levels of financial and non-financial personnel.
- Ability to drive effective decisions through use of GAAP, FERC and other accounting research.
- Ability to perform accounting duties of an above average difficulty.
- Strong computer and analytical skills.
- Ability to work effectively in a team environment.
- Ability to maintain strict confidentiality of business information.
- CPA, MBA, CMA or CIA strongly preferred.
- You must be able to perform the requirements of this position, with or without a reasonable accommodation.
The information contained in this position description describes the general nature and level of work being performed in this job. This description is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of responsibilities, duties, and requirements for employees in this position. The incumbent is responsible for performing all duties in a safe and efficient manner in compliance with safe work procedures and safety regulations. This job description is not intended to constitute an offer or contract of employment. Job descriptions may and do change periodically. Where positions are covered by a collective bargaining unit agreement, the terms and conditions of the collective bargaining unit agreement will apply.
We are an EEO Employer
How To Apply:
Please apply on-line below:
Black Hills Corporation
We are committed to our mission to Improve Life with Energy in the work we do, in our community involvement and in the careers of our team members. No matter the role you play you will find a connection in your work at BHC to something bigger...challenges that stretch your skills, serving customers and the larger community, and being a part of the industry that makes everything else possible.