PAY RANGE: $58,650 - $76,200
Base salary is determined by the knowledge, skills and abilities.
CLOSING DATE: This position will close on May 31, 2017.
LOCATION: Rapid City, SD
Responsible for the timely and accurate recording, analysis, and reporting of financial transactions related to natural gas accounting, including accurate payments to suppliers and pipelines, appropriate allocation of natural gas costs, purchased gas adjustments, derivative contracts, natural gas costs for electric generation units, and natural gas inventory. This position will include special projects for the operation and support of gas supply operations and regulatory departments including financial statement analyses, preparation of reports, and interpretation of accounting results.
REPORTING RELATIONSHIP: Manager – Gas Margin Accounting
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Ensure timely, accurate and complete analysis and accounting for natural gas.
- Analyze and report on monthly and quarterly financial information including but not limited to:
- Gas margin accounts in the income statement and balance sheet;
- Gas costs for gas utilities and electric generation units;
- Gas inventory and imbalances;
- Unbilled revenues;
- Physical and financial derivative trades; and
- Hedge accounting including effectiveness/ineffectiveness.
- Partner with teams in finance, accounting and gas supply to improve processes and drive efficiencies.
- Develop expertise in gas operations, regulatory requirements and accounting principles.
- Ensure appropriate controls are in place, documented and operating effectively to support accurate financial statements and provide strong internal controls over financial reporting in accordance with Sarbanes-Oxley requirements.
- Achieve proficiency with the automated accounting systems for the natural gas business including Endur, PeopleSoft, CIS+, and Flexibill.
- Reconcile gas margin accounts and identify and resolve differences.
- Verify and approve payments to gas suppliers and pipelines, and settlement of financial derivatives for natural gas.
- Perform advanced accounting procedures for the corporate accounting department.
- Perform other assigned duties in a professional manner to facilitate the objectives and goals of the company and to enhance the image of the margin accounting team.
- Must establish and maintain effective working relationships across Black Hills Corporation including strong relationships with co-workers, all finance and accounting departments, financial managers, regulatory, and internal and external audit.
- Five or more years of accounting/financial experience required.
- Public accounting experience highly preferred.
- Experience in utility or energy related industry a plus.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting required.
- Thorough knowledge of GAAP and accounting methods and procedures.
- Solid understanding of internal controls.
- Working understanding of utility operations and a basic understanding of regulatory/ratemaking processes and methods preferred.
- Essbase knowledge and experience preferred.
- Advanced proficiency in Excel to create and support complex spreadsheets and financial models.
- Proficiency in automated accounting systems.
- Strong organizational skills and the ability to prioritize, delegate and complete multiple projects in a timely manner.
- Ability to apply strong attention to detail while understanding and considering the overall vision.
- Ability to manage self and potentially others, effectively in a fast paced environment with multiple priorities.
- Strong analytical skills.
- Ability to work effectively in a team environment.
- Ability to maintain strict confidentiality of business information.
- CPA or MBA, strongly preferred.
- You must be able to perform the requirements of this position, with or without a reasonable accommodation.
The information contained in this position description describes the general nature and level of work being performed in this job. This description is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of responsibilities, duties, and requirements for employees in this position. The incumbent is responsible for performing all duties in a safe and efficient manner in compliance with safe work procedures and safety regulations. This job description is not intended to constitute an offer or contract of employment. Job descriptions may and do change periodically. Where positions are covered by a collective bargaining unit agreement, the terms and conditions of the collective bargaining unit agreement will apply.
We are an EEO employer.
How To Apply:
Please apply on-line below:
Black Hills Corporation
We are committed to our mission to Improve Life with Energy in the work we do, in our community involvement and in the careers of our team members. No matter the role you play you will find a connection in your work at BHC to something bigger...challenges that stretch your skills, serving customers and the larger community, and being a part of the industry that makes everything else possible.