CLOSING DATE: This position will close on April 25, 2017.
LOCATION: Rapid City, SD
Provide new overhead and underground electric service to customers. Perform work in construction and maintenance of overhead and underground primary and secondary lines.
REPORTING RELATIONSHIP: Operations Supervisor
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Install and connect overhead and underground services and transformers.
- Erect and set poles, pull wire, and connect transformers; troubleshoot issues related to these operations.
- Investigate outage calls.
- Perform hot work, up to and including 25 KV.
- Install, maintain and remove overhead and underground distribution facilities.
- Complete appropriate paperwork, such as outage reports, work authorizations, material tickets, etc.
- Perform switching.
- Check customers’ voltage/sets and monitors. Read recording volt meters when necessary.
- Locate and repair underground cable faults.
- Complete service orders to set, remove and reconnect meters. May collect customer payments.
- Repair and install pal lighting.
- Read and report targets on 230 KV substations. Reset alarms, sync lines, etc.
- Trim trees.
- Perform light vehicle maintenance.
- Observe all safety rules and line work procedures.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Maintain effective working relationships with all Company employees, including line crews and construction representatives.
- Four years on the job (O.J.T.) training as a line mechanic required.
- High school diploma or equivalent required.
- Completion of post-secondary lineman training program including O.J.T. hours required, or equivalent power line construction experience.
- Working knowledge of Black Hills Energy’s electric distribution system and property, safety practices and procedures.
- Thorough knowledge of electrical standards, methods and materials for construction of the electrical system.
- Knowledge of equipment used for overhead and underground construction.
- Familiar with tests voltage for all distribution transformer configurations.
- Basic knowledge of the tools required for line construction.
- Ability to operate, care for and maintain tools and equipment.
- Good interpersonal skills.
- Pole climbing certification.
- Journeyman Line Mechanic certification.
- Must possess a valid South Dakota Commercial Driver's license, at least Class A, with air brake endorsement, or have the ability to obtain one within 30 days of employment.
- Must live within 20 minutes of reporting location.
You must be able to perform the requirements of this position, with or without a reasonable accommodation.
- Ability to frame poles.
- Ability to climb poles.
- Sitting, standing, walking, climbing, kneeling, crawling and squatting to access tasks.
- Ability to forward bend, overhead reach and complete elevated work to steady poles, use equipment and access tasks.
- Rotational sitting and standing to access work.
- Ability to twist while standing and kneeling to access task.
- Gripping and pulling with both hands up to 120lbs of force.
- Hand-eye coordination, lifting, one arm carry, overhead lifting and reaching, repetitive wrist twisting motion.
- Must have acute vision with or without correction. Ambulate varying terrains, surfaces and elevations and work with color codes.
- Ability to pull downward, horizontal, overhead reach and downward vertical.
- Upper extremity coordination to prepare materials for installs.
The information contained in this position description describes the general nature and level of work being performed in this job. This description is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of responsibilities, duties, and requirements for employees in this position. The incumbent is responsible for performing all duties in a safe and efficient manner in compliance with safe work procedures and safety regulations. This job description is not intended to constitute an offer or contract of employment. Job descriptions may and do change periodically. Where positions are covered by a collective bargaining unit agreement, the terms and conditions of the collective bargaining unit agreement will apply.
We are an EEO Employer
How To Apply:
Please apply on-line below:
Black Hills Corporation
We are committed to our mission to Improve Life with Energy in the work we do, in our community involvement and in the careers of our team members. No matter the role you play you will find a connection in your work at BHC to something bigger...challenges that stretch your skills, serving customers and the larger community, and being a part of the industry that makes everything else possible.