SALARY GRADE: $93,800 - $130,400 (Base salary is determined by the knowledge, skills and abilities of the applicant.)
CLOSING DATE: This position will close on April 28, 2017.
LOCATION: Lowell, AR
Provide overall leadership and management for ARG gas operations. Plan and direct all local operation personnel in the construction, maintenance and operation of ARG’s gas systems. Actively participate as a member of the ARG leadership team.
REPORTING RELATIONSHIP: Director of Operations
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Participate in the strategic planning and budget processes for ARG, proactively contributing to the establishment of strategic goals for the company.
- Establish business goals and objectives for ARG gas operations that compliment overall goals and objectives of ARG and the Retail Utilities group. Communicate, monitor and review goals and objectives on an ongoing basis to ensure they are consistent with the overall goals and objectives of ARG and the Retail Utilities group.
- Monitor and be accountable for the preparation of annual operating and capital budgets for ARG gas operations. Enlist support, analysis and recommendations from the Gas Utilities, Construction Services and Engineering groups into the preparation of annual operating budgets for ARG.
- With support from the Gas Utilities groups, direct the development and execution of short-term and long-range planning for ARG gas distribution systems.
- Assist the Director of Operations in creating, implementing and managing employee development plans to ensure the safe, reliable and cost-effective delivery of services to ARG customers.
- Work closely with the ARG leadership team and the Utilities Groups to efficiently integrate the work process and activities of ARG with other Utility group jurisdictions. Specific attention should be focused on the improvement of operational efficiencies, heightened safety awareness and performance, reduction of costs, enhanced regulatory relations and delivery of excellent customer service.
- Provide overall leadership, management and direction for the Gas Operations Team.
- Develop leadership skills for direct and indirect reports.
- Create and maintain a workplace environment within the ARG gas operations group that promotes diversity, safety, fair and equal treatment of employees, open communications and the highest standards of ethical behavior.
- Ensure all policies, procedures and work rules are clearly communicated and applied consistently throughout the ARG gas operations group.
- Strive to maintain the highest standards in the employee appraisal system. Ensure performance appraisals contain specific and measurable goals, as well as suggestions for the improvement and continue development of the employee.
- Maintain strict compliance with all environmental and governmental regulations, corporate policies and procedures and laws.
- Foster an environment within the ARG gas operations group that encourages new innovations and ideas.
- Provide overall leadership, management and direction for ARG gas operations. Plan and direct all local operations in construction, maintenance and operation of the ARG gas system.
- With support from the Gas Utilities Groups, monitor all applicable rules, regulations and codes that govern gas construction, maintenance and operation. Ensure ARG operations and maintenance procedures reflect compliance and all ARG personnel are adequately trained.
- Ensure that financial, operational, safety and customer service goals are developed, communicated, monitored and achieved within the ARG gas operations group.
- With the support from the Gas Utilities Group, provide direction and oversight for the ARG gas maintenance programs. Ensure that the planning, management and execution of these programs are performance based and monitored.
- Responsible to ARG operations to maintain knowledge of DOT regulations and requirements, coordinates with Gas Engineering & Standards to assure DOT regulations are understood and communicated.
- Accountable to oversee and monitor audits, take corrective action as needed.
- Participate in all scheduled OPS audits and drive follow-up actions as needed to assure in compliance.
- Construct/coordinate gas incident investigations as required.
- Responsible for ARG Public Official Training & Public Awareness Advertising.
- Provide high level customer service to support the growth and retention of business customers.
- Promote and expand Black Hills Energy as a full-service energy company.
- Create an awareness of value of Black Hills non-regulated services.
- Lead business acquisitions initiatives including due diligence and public advocacy.
- Build successful relationships with communicate leaders in towns with municipal utilities.
- Responsible for strategic development of non-regulated (technical services) initiatives.
- Accurately forecast annual non-regulated technical services revenue margin goals.
- Train operation employees to understand and speak to technical services within service territories.
- Maintain existing service contract database.
- Maintain the BHC safety culture
- Maintain a strong and open relationship with the ARG Director of Operations and the ARG leadership team.
- Practice open and frequent communications with the Gas Utilities support group.
- Maintain strong working relationships with the BHC’s corporate support departments including legal, accounting/finance, information services, public affairs, regulatory and human resources. Seek advice and assistance from these departments as necessary.
- Recognize the importance of and work to enhance/support the strong business relationships with ARG;’s major customers. Coordinating with the Gas Utilities Group, ARG Construction Services Manager and ARG electric Operations Manager to ensure programs and processes are in place to effectively communicate key issues as well as respond to customer needs and concerns.
- Develop and maintain good working relationships with operations leaders within the other BHC jurisdictions.
- Working through the Director of Operations, support good working relationships with various local, state and federal officials as appropriate. Maintain membership and take an active role in industry associations.
- Key customer contacts.
- 10 years of relevant experience required with increasingly progressive leadership and management in the utility field. Engineering and/or operation emphasis preferred.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering, Business Administration or other relevant field or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Knowledge of gas system construction, operations, maintenance standards, procedures and governmental regulations.
- In depth knowledge of the Gas Operations processes and work practices.
- Extensive knowledge of DOT and OQ compliance regulations, O&M manual and government compliance.
- Proven leadership and interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrated ability to develop, monitor and accomplish strategic goals.
- Demonstrated ability to self-direct workload and prioritize business needs.
- Possess strong oral and written communication skills. Ability to articulate, communicate and influence.
- Ability to effectively manage multiple major projects simultaneously.
- Demonstrate the ability to represent the Company in front of various stakeholder, employees groups, major customers and regulatory agencies.
- Ability to make decisions based on the factors and ability to work under stress and deadlines.
- Tracking / monitoring skills.
- Some travel may be involved.
- You must be able to perform the requirements of this position, with or without a reasonable accommodation.
The information contained in this position description describes the general nature and level of work being performed in this job. This description is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of responsibilities, duties, and requirements for employees in this position. The incumbent is responsible for performing all duties in a safe and efficient manner in compliance with safe work procedures and safety regulations. This job description is not intended to constitute an offer or contract of employment. Job descriptions may and do change periodically. Where positions are covered by a collective bargaining unit agreement, the terms and conditions of the collective bargaining unit agreement will apply.
We are an EEO Employer
How To Apply:
Please apply on-line below:
Black Hills Corporation
We are committed to our mission to Improve Life with Energy in the work we do, in our community involvement and in the careers of our team members. No matter the role you play you will find a connection in your work at BHC to something bigger...challenges that stretch your skills, serving customers and the larger community, and being a part of the industry that makes everything else possible.