See all jobs in yankton SD
Job Location: Yankton, South Dakota
The purpose of the Utilities Technician / PSM Coordinator is to maintain, diagnose, repair, rebuild, adjust, perform preventative maintenance, and install equipment within and around the facility to limit system and production downtime. This individual will perform the duties of a Utilities Technician / PSM Coordinator and will be responsible for all ensuring compliance with the written PSM / RMP program at the plant. Will be responsible for completion of all necessary paperwork and documentation as it relates to the job.
Position is responsible for the following Utilities Technician / PSM Coordinator function:
- Performing daily rounds, logging data, and observing conditions on ammonia refrigeration system.
- Performing daily rounds, logging data, and observing conditions on the steam system(s).
- Spotting abnormal operating conditions including: temperature, pressure, smell, sound, feel, and damage to ammonia refrigeration equipment.
- Performing initial investigations of ammonia refrigeration issues, both performance and upset/release reports.
- Escalate and notification of appropriate personnel in the event that the equipment and/or the ammonia system was shut-down due to operation outside of acceptable operating parameters.
- Understanding the function and purpose of each major unit operations and sub-assemblies associated with the ammonia refrigeration system, and know the sequence of operations.
- Troubleshooting component malfunctions both mechanically and electrically.
- Writing, verifying, and executing all aspects of the plants Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs).
- Perform detailed inspections and PM's for all of the components associated with the refrigeration system, which do not require special tools or training, compressor rebuilds, vibration analysis, ammonia sensor calibrations, and specialized motor tests.
- Understanding of the condenser water treatment system, cooling water treatment, steam system water treatment, and chemistry concerns associated with secondary refrigerants such as brine or glycol.
- Respond to ammonia refrigeration emergencies, both performance and upset/release reports.
- Represent the plant, as the local subject matter expert on project teams.
- Must be capable of operating all ammonia refrigeration related equipment and system components in a safe manner while using standard operating procedures.
- Perform mechanical overhauls and refrigerant reclaiming.
- Adjust valves according to specifications and charge system with proper type of refrigerant by pumping the specified gas or fluid into the system.
- Keep records of repairs and replacements made and causes of malfunctions.
- Maintain P&ID drawings for the refrigeration systems; help ensure accuracy and update as necessary.
- Preform detailed inspections and PM’s for all of the components associated with the steam system(s).
- Performing general troubleshooting and maintenance of the steam system(s).
- Must be capable of operating all steam system related equipment and system components in a safe manner.
- Supervise and train Operators and / or Monitors.
- Perform other duties as required or assigned and respond to after-hours emergency calls as needed.
Position is responsible for the following Process Safety Management (PSM) and Risk Management Program (RMP) functions:
- Communicate with refrigeration operators, upper management, corporate EHS, corporate Engineering, and others as required to relay the status, needs, etc. related to the PSM and RMP programs.
- Track audit recommendations and insure that they are completed by the due dates set forth in the priority matrix used when the audits are conducted. This will also require communication of the recommendations status to American Foods Group Engineering.
- Initiate and conduct the monthly PSM Committee Meetings involving: Plant Manager; Plant Engineer/Maintenance Manager; Production Managers/Supervisors; Refrigeration Operators; Safety Manager; Human Resources, etc.
- Maintain the PSM Bulletin Board in the communication of the PSM Committee Minutes, Management of Changes, Incident Investigations, etc.
- Collect, maintain, and organize all information required to insure compliance with PSM and RMP requirements.
- Be involved in the refrigeration projects and budgeting at the plant.
- Develop, implement, train, and track all Preventative Maintenance (PM) done on the refrigeration equipment, piping, valves, etc. in accordance with the written PSM / RMP program.
- Develop, implement, and insure that training is conducted as per the written PSM / RMP program. This includes refresher training, OJT / OJE training, initial training, etc. as set forth in the written PSM / RMP program.
- With the responsibility of documenting, tracking, and implementing the PSM / RMP program there will be many tasks that are required on a routine and/or non-routine basis that will need to be addressed or completed.
- High School Diploma / GED.
- Minimum of 5+ years work experience in industrial ammonia refrigeration.
- Must be able to read, understand, and work with complex blueprints, sketches, and schematics.
- Electrical experience and troubleshooting in low and high voltage circuits, motors, and controls.
- Must be able to pass a pulmonary function and respirator fit test.
- Perform assigned tasks efficiently with minimum supervision.
- Competent in Windows-based software, such as Microsoft Excel, Word, and PowerPoint.
- Strong skills in document organization, the use of technical materials, and research techniques.
- Reading and writing fluency in English. High level oral communications, critical thinking, and problem solving skills. The ability to function effectively in a team environment, and interact productively with all levels of management and operations personnel.
- Hazardous Materials Technician level training.
- RETA certifications (CARO or CIRO)
- Ammonia Operator I or II (Ammonia Operator III preferred)
- Boiler Operator Training / Certification
How to Apply:
Please send resume to:
American Foods Group, LLC.